US/Aus electricity differences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptililian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
If I had, say, a 60 watt heat pad from the USA, which I believe runs 110 volts, what is likely to happen when I plug it into 240 volt here in Aus?

Help!

Lily

It will most likely get very hot very quickly and then stop working... proably within a few seconds an probably after bursting into flames, killing your herps burning your house down, dogs and cats living together and the end of the modern world.

In theory if you had two of them and ran them in series the voltage drop across each one would be about right.

p.s.: I an not a Sparky so don't believe anything I say on the subject. My answer is based on what I learned in High School physics classes and that was a long time ago.

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
Make a herper friend very happy this Christmas with
10% off all Barefoot Bushman DVD's at the Herp Shop
BushTucker.gif
SolCroc.gif

sounds like you just contravened the new sedition laws Herptrader.
oops, i think I did by telling you.

I beleive you can buy specific adapters for non Aussy appliences, or vice versa for non aussy power source. Try dick smith. :)

you can get electrical transformers for 110volts to 240volts.hopefully they are alot smaller now.the one i got 15 years ago weighs about 25kg.

definately a no no, the current will melt your globe most likely from a 240v supply

I think you will find that the amps will be different too. DON'T USE IT.

Yep I did it once with a neon sign I had (I was silly and either didn't think, or just didn't check first). But I can tell you there was a bit of a pop, a bit of smoke, and then it don't work ;) :lol:

(check out the adaptor thingy Instar & Whatsup recommended)

From my electrician father: Herptrader is exactly correct. So they did something right in HSC physics. You will burn your house down. Or learn to wire them in series.

re US

They sell travel plugs that convert,go into an electrical wholesaler and theyll fill you in,or you can look to see what companies like HPM sell on their web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back