Usa ban

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that these two examples, particularly the New Orleans one, keep coming out highlights the rarity of these kinds of incidents. And the lack of a case for big constrictors having invasive potential outside of FL.

I'm sure if you did some googling it wouldn't be too difficult to find more examples.

I'm also quite sure that a lot of reptiles keepers in this country have no or at least a very limited knowledge of just how dangerous large boids can be.

I'm sure if you did some googling it wouldn't be too difficult to find more examples.

I'm also quite sure that a lot of reptiles keepers in this country have no or at least a very limited knowledge of just how dangerous large boids can be.

I'm sure you are perfectly correct on both counts :)

I very much doubt that going to happen, it is one thing introducing a ban on a small number of potentially dangerous species and quite another to ban all species.

talk on facebook by the americans this morning is that this is the start of a USA ban on all reptiles, once PETA & other groups get hold of this its a 'back door' into a ban on all reptiles as pets..

Actually no, this is really nothing like what we have here. This only applies to 4 specific species and a license isn't required to have one of those species.

so in other words they are bringing in similar rules to what we have? no import, permits to export interstate, and you'll need a specific licence to have a big snake? seems pretty simple

Huh? So what, in your opinion, justifies any action?

Sorry for being unclear. I simply meant that you need a better justification for this particular act, the changing the classification of large constrictors, than saying that they are sometimes sold inappropriately in pet shops. That's why I also asked for evidence of problems caused by them being sold inappropriately in petshops. These problems might warrant, or justify :), the change in legal status of these animals. That's my opinion.

This hasn't been enacted yet and needs to be presented to both the senate and the congress first.

This hasn't been enacted yet and needs to be presented to both the senate and the congress first.

No, it is already finalised and does not need brought before congress. They will publish the rule in the Federal Register, which is a public record, and it takes effect 60 days after that. All done.

Im almost certain there have been 10 python caused deaths in USA
Considering the numbers of pythons sold that is a pretty low percentage

Injurious in this case meant harmful to the ecology rather than harmful to humans even though the anti brigade used the death of that 2 year old as a very powerful/emotional argument

When you say 'our prevention' what do you mean exactly ? No one has prevented just about every exotic species imaginable being available illegally in this country. If you mean it isn't legal to import these animals then you are correct but I understand drugs are illegal too and we can see how effective that is.

What I mean is, yeah, there are illegally imported animals here sure, but if it was legal to import like the states then there is a much higher chance that we will have something of this nature happen somewhere in our country. The odd wild colony of corn snakes at belrose or frenchs forest isn't really a big problem, but something of the magnitude of (Burmese in the Everglades) in a world heritage listed area would be. Do you see? I have no knowledge of the numbers of imported exotics or the number of keepers keeping or breeding them, and i doubt that anyone does, so your comment about the availability of just about every exotic species imaginable sounds a bit of a stretch. They may be available to you... but certainly not the majority.

Exactly why I cringe when I see the 'we're alright Jack' comments.

What do you mean by 'we're alright Jack' comments? I don't see any.

Somehow I doubt this very much considering around 5 million households have pet reptiles of one form or another.

Groups like PETA have very skilled political strategists, and they're in it for the very long haul. "Banning" is a very blunt and obvious instrument, but restricting the movement of, free trading in, breeding of, etc etc, are seemingly subtle ways of getting a foot in the door and reducing the numbers to a politically less threatening mass. Basically it will be regarded as the first successful step in a long campaign, by very well funded and highly politically active organisations, to "free" animals from the tyranny of captivity. Animal rights groups usually dress their ambitions as "animal welfare"... and who would argue that the welfare of animals is important?

Idiotic and irresponsible keepers have handed the lobbyists a golden key to the doors of politicians' offices in this case. It will happen here too - the NSW Reptile Keepers Code of Practice has animal rights fingerprints all over it, and despite many requests for clarification about the status of this legislation, the silence, even from the highest levels of OEH, is deafening.

NEVER be complacent about the intentions of these groups or the bureaucrats they influence. Many of us have worked long and hard to get where we are today, and we are mindful that our hard-won gains are resented by many individuals who fought against change in the last decade or more. They're still out there...

Jamie

Very well said Jamie!

HSUS is now openly saying they will push to stamp out the trade of large constrictors altogether. Thin end of the wedge indeed.

Very well said Jamie!

HSUS is now openly saying they will push to stamp out the trade of large constrictors altogether. Thin end of the wedge indeed.

Its been open slather for the pet trade for far too long overseas
So its about time some restrictions were put in place as large pythons will cause more human deaths because any of them 5 metres or more are very very powerful animals and far too many are treated too frivolously by owners

I totally understand about idiots like PETA and their backing but reptiles are different to orangutans etc
With them they get the sympathy vote
Sympathy vote for snakes is a bit harder to get
Fear will end up being their major weapon
Especially if a few keepers get tagged by vens or vens escape

It is like getting herpes and than putting on a condom so you might not get venerial disease. Too little to late.
I have an idea... lets get corn snakes, ball pythons etc and think about the problems 10 years from now.

The realistics are that they may reduce the numbers of the problem python in the everglades but they will never be able to eradicate it.

Its been open slather for the pet trade for far too long overseas
So its about time some restrictions were put in place as large pythons will cause more human deaths because any of them 5 metres or more are very very powerful animals and far too many are treated too frivolously by owners

I totally understand about idiots like PETA and their backing but reptiles are different to orangutans etc
With them they get the sympathy vote
Sympathy vote for snakes is a bit harder to get
Fear will end up being their major weapon
Especially if a few keepers get tagged by vens or vens escape

I totally agree Peter. People like Al Coritz on the vens side of things seem to have been saying the same thing as you have, reptile industry needs to police its own before it gets done for em. Vens are statistically much more dangerous than large constrictors, tho that is not saying a whole lot in itself, so they had better watch out.

The new law doesn't address the problem.
Problem being an exotic, invasive species going rampant in a natural wonderland.
They are still allowed to keep the snakes so nothing changes there.

Here in Aus, we should be grateful for the lesson that their problem can teach us, without having to go through it.
I don't see what this new overseas law and the animal rights movements and their campaigns have to do with us learning from their mistakes.

The only point I am trying to make is that the root of the problem was that they imported exotic species, which we can't. The worse their scenario grows including the input from the weirdos, is a good learning curve for us to remember why we can't import exotics. On a selfish level I would love a retic, but I will happily go without if it means i can go back country and see AUSTRALIA. Which may not last much longer anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back