UV light comparisons for a beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzajay77

Reaction score
What is the difference between the NEC T10 black light and the Outback Max uva/uvb tube? Is one better than the other ? They both also only appear to come in 2ft (24inch) or 4ft (48) inch. I've heard the outback max lights are brighter than the NEC's

I have a 3.5 ft x 40h x 43x wooden tank for a beardie.

Just unsure how i can used either of those set ups in my tank. It looks as though i'd have to go a 2ft. Would that be enough ?

Sorry, no idea on their comparison, but, the best lights to use for any sun-loving herps would be any of the "Mega Ray" range, available through animal attraction.

Maybe i should rephrase my post lol. Everyone keeping beardies in a 3-4 ft tank .. what uv lighting do you use. Fluro's, incandesant... ? By the looks of things the uv only works if the beardie is a certain distance away from it ... 3-6-12 inches ?? never knew that.

I've got two beardies in a 4 footer. I only had a NEC T10 48" tube for the first year of their life. Now, since I couldn't find another tube to replace it with, I just added in a compact fluoro ExoTerro 10.0 I think it is.

I use the NEC T-10 blacklights for my beardies. A mate of mine works in an electrical company so he orders em in. Apparently they are the best lights other than the sun itself but I havent heard of the other light you mentioned.

Duke, compacts are bad. They produce UVC- which is very dangerous for lizards.

Compact globes designed for reptiles don't emit UVC. I think you may have your wires crossed.
Maybe you were thinking of the Dichroic downlighters with the plastic lenses removed, they produce UVC which can potentially cause problems, particularly blindness.

Neil

Thanks for all of your replies. Does anyone know where i can get a batten for the fluoro tube. Non of the light stores seem to sell them. They appear to only suit certain globes ?

Maybe i should rephrase my post lol. Everyone keeping beardies in a 3-4 ft tank .. what uv lighting do you use. Fluro's, incandesant... ? By the looks of things the uv only works if the beardie is a certain distance away from it ... 3-6-12 inches ?? never knew that.

You have a few choices, either Compact globes(designed for reptiles), floro tubes or the mercury vapour lights. Reflectors used in combo are useful to.

The mercury vapour light's are the best and most powerful source of UVB, but in the compacts and floro's you should look at the UVB output, some are 2.0% some are 5 %, the ones you want for beardies are 10% or higher.
12 Inch's is the max your lizard should be away from the light source, except with mercury vapours which can and should be positioned further away.
Remember you can position basking branches and logs at an angle and so they can get closer to bask nearer the light.

Remember your calcium powder or suppliments to.

Neil

Thanks for all of your replies. Does anyone know where i can get a batten for the fluoro tube. Non of the light stores seem to sell them. They appear to only suit certain globes ?

A reptile product supplier such as our sponsors.;)

Neil

NCHERPS said:
Compact globes designed for reptiles don't emit UVC. I think you may have your wires crossed.
Maybe you were thinking of the Dichroic downlighters with the plastic lenses removed, they produce UVC which can potentially cause problems, particularly blindness.

Neil

A friend of mine used a compact for her beardeds, and it started developing problems a short time later. UVC poisoning (poisoning?) was confirmed not long after that. I just confirmed it with her, that it was not a specially- designed reptile light. Ignore my post, lol.

Thanks for picking me up on it, NCHERPS.

Thanks heaps NCHERPS. What wattage would you recommend for a tank my size. 100W i'm guessing for a mvp 26w for a compact 10.0? Stupid questions. The compacts seem to produce UVB, don't beardies need UVA also? So i'd need another globe ?

A friend of mine used a compact for her beardeds, and it started developing problems a short time later. UVC poisoning (poisoning?) was confirmed not long after that. I just confirmed it with her, that it was not a specially- designed reptile light. Ignore my post, lol.

Thanks for picking me up on it, NCHERPS.

No worries Notechistiger.
I guess it is an important lesson you have brought to our attention though, use Reptile specific lights or be wary of potential dangers from less expensive alternatives.

Neil

Thanks heaps NCHERPS. What wattage would you recommend for a tank my size. 100W i'm guessing for a mvp 26w for a compact 10.0? Stupid questions. The compacts seem to produce UVB, don't beardies need UVA also? So i'd need another globe ?

If it's just going to be used for UVB output and not heating as well then I wouldn't go to the expense of a Mercury vapour, they usually come in 100W and 160W, although the mega ray maybe different and they also have an external ballast system from memory.

The beardies will seek out the UV, so it isn't necessary to have a battern floro extending the whole length of the enclosure. I would use a 10% compact floro with a reflector, as long as you can position it safely, failing that a floro tube again 10% or higher 12% even.

Think about replacing every 6-12 month's depending on hours of use.

UVA is also in the reptile specific globes so no worries there, it will help with colour and appetite in your animals.

Neil

Ok sorted. I think i'll stay away from the mvp. I understand it might be better but i think my enclosure might be a bit small for one.

I think i'll go a compact fluro for now being that it'll be easier to position in my tank. Am i right in assuming that one of those globes won't provide enough heat for the enclosure and that i'll need a separate heat globe ... sorry for the dumb questions .. i'm new and want to get it right before i get my dragon

Ok sorted. I think i'll stay away from the mvp. I understand it might be better but i think my enclosure might be a bit small for one.

I think i'll go a compact fluro for now being that it'll be easier to position in my tank. Am i right in assuming that one of those globes won't provide enough heat for the enclosure and that i'll need a separate heat globe ... sorry for the dumb questions .. i'm new and want to get it right before i get my dragon

Yes, your right, they are usually only 26w, so you will need to put in another heat source, I suggest a ceramic globe, they produce no visable light, just a nice warm heat through infrared heating, the globes last years unlike common incadescent spot globes, reptile or otherwise.

Neil

Is it necessary to run both lights, heat globe and uv fluros through ceramic fittings. I understand the heat globe would need it but the uv ?

UV compact fluoros only come in edison screw fittings. They can get warmish, I'd put them in a ceramic fitting just out of safety.

You can get the battens from bunnings quite cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back