Varanus Gilleni

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Reaction score
hi all. my internet been on and off for weeks now, and havent been able to post. and was interested in getting some Varanus Gilleni pygmy mulga monitors and havent been able to find much info on them eg enclosure size and care sheets. any help would be great thanks.

jimbo, I just saw this thread, as Dicco said, I have two clutches at the moment and there should be more to come. I just had an article published on them (you can read it if you can get your hands on a copy of the latest issue of Monitor.

I've had great results with these lizards and would be happy to discuss my methods. Mathew Bonnet's trio might be good to buy, I think they're related to mine, which is a nice looking line. There were some on the herp trader for $250 each not long ago, might be worth a look if they're still available.

feel free to post questions, here is probably better than pm, as others can learn from the discussion

Matt has an incredible amount of knowledge when discussing most Australian monitor species. If you were able to save up $1000, it would be money well spent...his animals would be guaranteed top-notch in excellent health.

Still after about 5 months he answers all my nagging emails and is never short of sharing info :)

Simon Archibald

iv sorta want ackies now insted of gillieni but.....
yeh i talked to Matt a few days ago and he answered all my queastions too.

The trio is $1000? Not a bad price for adults, although it's worth keeping in mind that if you look after them they'll be large and breeding in less than 12 months anyway. I've had eggs from an 11 month old girl and I've heard of others doing it in 5-6 months!

Hatchlings are always my prefered way to go with reptiles, it feels more satisfying growing the animals up yourself. Still, if you aren't fussed, a well looked after $1000 male and two female trio will more than pay for itself within about 4 months, so this would be a good way to go.

It's great you're after some gilleni by the way, they're great lizards, so full of personality, you'll soon be in love!! :D

Sdaji, you mentioned that they will pay for themselves within 4 months, does that mean they will breed this season or are they just anytime breeders??

Cheers, Alan.

They should breed this season. If you set them up right you can breed them all year, but I like to let mine sleep at night and slow down a little for winter. Maybe I'll have a go at treating them like egg machines one day, I suppose it would make them happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back