Venomous snake, death list?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwallader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
i have been looking for a while now if there is a report or scientific paper of all the recorded confirmed fatalities on records for particular sp. of elapids.

all help will be great
Cheers

No there is not Luke. There are bits and pieces of information out there but as I know it:
Acanthophis antarcticus
**Acanthophis praelongus
A. pyyrhus
Demansia vestigiata
Cryptophis nigrescens
*Hoplocephalus bungaroides
Notechis scutatus
Oxyuranus scutellatus
Parasuta flagellum
Pseudechis australis
*Pseudechis porphyriacus
Pseudonaja affinis
Pseudonaja mendgeni
Pseudonaja nuchalis
Pseudonaja textilis
Tropidechis carinatus

* thought to may be in error, or due to extenuating circumstances
** a species complex with a number of species involved.

a whole host of other species have come very close to causing death and its only due to the excellent medical care and quality antivenom we have that has saved them.

Hope that helps
Scott

Helps a lot, i had come to the conclusion i wasn't going to find a nicely presented list ha.
something i find interesting on the list above is that * next to Psedechis porphyriacus, also the Demansia vestigiata

Cheers for the help mate
Luke

There is a bit more info in my elapid book including references

Ah I read this as "Death Wish"..

But in all seriousness. Is there are reasoning behind this? No one has taken the time? Not enough reliable information?
I would of thought in a country such as this there would be alot of documentation? Atleast in the last few decades..

There was a link on another forum to a list of snakebites during one year. It compared bites to keepers versus the general public. There was a different species mix for the two groups and keepers were more likely to develop anaphylaxis from venom. Both were equally likely to suffer anaphylaxis from antivenin. Don't know about deaths. If just Australia, you have a chance of getting the data. In places like PNG, many never make it to hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back