Vens and babies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tankslapt

Reaction score
I have this hankering to get into elapids that won't seem to go away the problem with getting them is I have a beautiful 11 month old baby boy who has absolutely no fear whatsoever of my pythons.

My question is, would it be bad parenting to get say, a RBB? I also doubt I would stop at just 1 ven. Has anybody had any experience with elapids escaping?

I've already told myself a thousand times it's not going to happen because what if?? But like I said, the want won't go away haha.

Cheers,

Daz

In Vic the Vens must be kept in a secure locked enclosure that is accessable by the licence holder only!

Being a secure enclosure there should not be any chance of the snake escaping!

Thanks stimigex, I already knew that and my pythons haven't ever escaped, I'm just paro because if anything did ever happen and he got bitten I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I guess if I were to get one, they would have to be in there own locked room. Away from prying baby hands.

I want a RBB eventually but have been told NO several times by both my mrs. If its in a secure enclosure then I would not see an issue, just do get it out when baby is around.

I like vens and love RBB's,but that tiny tiny chance of being tagged keeps the pythons coming.

I want a RBB eventually but have been told NO several times by both my mrs. If its in a secure enclosure then I would not see an issue, just do get it out when baby is around.

So both of your missus say no don't get one but I should get the RBB out when the baby is around??? haha awesome.

Thanks stimigex, I already knew that and my pythons haven't ever escaped, I'm just paro because if anything did ever happen and he got bitten I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I guess if I were to get one, they would have to be in there own locked room. Away from prying baby hands.

There is no guarantees with anything as there is always a risk involved with the keeping of vens!

There is no guarantees with anything as there is always a risk involved with the keeping of vens!

Yeah I agree, I guess it's just not worth the risk. Maybe once he's old enough to kick outta the house! haha

my hubby wants to get into vens and since we have young kids i said no, not worth it. one day yes, in the far far future maybe, but now now

Very good point, and for this reason I would not even consider Scrubbies or olives. (I have a one year old)

In the unlikely event a mishap occours, I would rather have safety over my family than chance a mistake.
I think that anyone who has children or young ones roaming the house have a priority of say. Compared to your herp lover who does not relate and any reptile is cool.
Same as elapids, your choice but safety with family above all else. We do not want to hear a horror story that a dangerous snake has bitten a small child and the fact it will cause a big cross asgainst our name.

Either way you choose, good luck and remember that your human side is more important than your reptile side.

Peace

Stick to your routine, my 2 big things are close myself in the room and no beer, because if I said no more then 3 beers that would become 4,7,234!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's something you should discuss with your partner. If you're confident with your husbandry (and you should be if you're considering venomous snakes), and your caging is secure, then there is no issue imo.

With vens and babies it only takes one mistake..

True, but with babies it only takes one mistake in relation to any number of circumstances.
I had a house full of venomous snakes when my kids were born, they grew up with them and now the grandkids are too. You need to keep your wits about you when dealing with both the kids and the snakes.
At the end of the day it is something the OP needs to decide.

vens and chemicals in your cupboard if they are in access what's the difference to a youngin'? *shrug* if its done correctly nothing bad will happen

Keep the vens in a locked cage, in a lockable room that only you have access to..
It can be done responsibly, just like other potentially dangerous hobbies/activites etc.
That 'what if' is that stupid, little annoying voice in the back of your head, it really pays not to listen to it.
Just use your common sense, don't take shortcuts and don't do anything stupid.

I personally would get a larger, reasonably placid and mildly venomous elapid
so that if by some 'freak chain of events' it does get out, it is much less likely to cause any major harm..
Hint hint: RBBS or Colletts *druel*
Remember, it is a much better idea to work on preventing the snake from getting out in the first place!

Not to put a gloom on anything, but all of this is especially important to consider now that you do have a young child.
We certainly wouldn't want anything to happen to you mate. Play it safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back