very weird

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkgone

Reaction score
one of my adult speckled feeder roaches has this long thick white thing coming out the rear end of it.ITs about as long as the roach.Does anyone know what this is?thanks

i thought they gave birth to live young (not in eggs).Anyways what do i do with this egg sack?ITs still attached to the roach.thanks

so the roaches wont eat the egg sack?How long does it usually take for the roaches to hatch?thanks

the herp shop has an excellent fact sheet explaining their cycle.
I want to know how do you know if one is gravid, is there any way to tell.
I just catch the shiny backs to make sure.

Congratulations.....your a daddy :lol:

I take mine to the vet for an ultrasound then give all gravid roaches their own little containers until they drop the sack then I take the sack out being careful not to turn it to save drowning the little eggs. I then candle the individual eggs and all the slugs get buried in the local pet cemetary with a nice little service and their own headstone. The good eggs get the humidity checked in the incubator and get fanned at least 4 times a day with any failed eggs being picked up by the undertaker for fitting with a little coffin and getting their own little funeral service.
Hope this helps :)

i put the female in a seperate container over night and i woke up this morning and it was gone.I think she ate it

i think the egg sack is suppose to stay attached to the female because it says the babies climb under the wings of the mother.Though im not sure?

Speckled feeder roaches/ woodies are what they call 'False live bearers" They develop the egg sack inside their body and when they lay them they almost hatch straight away. Sometimes it happens that the female prematurely lays the egg sack these eggs will not hatch. In general the woodies will hatch within 5 minutes after laying. Normal cockroaches lay diffrent egg sacks they generally have the egg sack attached to them for several days and then they deposit them inside a crevice or any dark place. The eggs will then develop and hatch. Your female would have eaten the infertile egg sack for sure as this would have been a good protein meal.

so because they were infertile she ate them?Would she of eaten them if they weere fertile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back