Virgin Komodo dragon is expecting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I found this one fascinating...

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/20/uk.komodo.reut/index.html

long.flora.afp.gi.jpg

Thanks for the link,

Thats awesome - What an ingenious solution!
I've always liked Komodo dragons especially after reading "Last chance to see" by Douglas Adams...

That's new to me! Great post trader, i love reading about these types of stories. very interesting.

I think I would look first at Aussie species... such as some of the geckos and, based on this data, some of the goannas.

would parthenogenesis occur in Aussie lizards such as blue tongues and beardies

Cheers Castellano

We do have (this country, not me personally) at least one parthenogenic species, Bynoes geckos.

Yeah, poor fellas might miss out altogether! It's been on the news this morning.

There are two native species of reptiles known to be parthenogenetic, one is a small skink (there are none legally in captivity) and the other is a species of Heteronotia (still usually called a type of Bynoe's Gecko, although it is a different species). The parthenogenetic "Bynoe's Geckoes" are obligate parthenogens, which means they can only reproduce on their own, in fact, males don't even exist in their species! (The Komodo Dragons are different in that their offspring are not clones, which actually means that genetically they are the equivalent of the result of severe inbreeding!) All of the gecko babies are clones of their mothers, which means that the ones which exist today are clones of the original lizards, the very first members of their species from over 100,000 years ago - before modern humans existed!

Yes, the parthenogenetic geckoes are legally in captivity and yes, it's possible to clone them in your own home! Before anyone asks, I sold out yesterday (yes, really!) but have some which have just hatched and will be available in a few weeks.

Here are pictures of my favourite clone (there are several different clone lines, each of which has a seperate history dating back over 100,000 years). This clone line is called "Sandstorm".

Sandstormfebb132005downsizedpic.jpg

Sandstorm_yum_yum.jpg

And here is a baby clone produced by the adult in the previous pictures (yes, she still has her juvenile colours).

:)

WOW ! thats cool
amazing wat some reptiles can do !

thanks
..<>brad<>..

There is actually a third native species of reptile known to be parthenogenic, the Arafuran File Snake. Similar to the Komodo Dragon, it is a sexual species but can reproduce asexually if the need arises. They are automictic parthenogens and all viable offspring produced in this way are males.

Additionally, there are a number of other parthengoenic reptiles on our shores, although reproduction of these results in female clones of the mother as Sadji suggested for the other two lizard species. These include the Mourning Gecko (Lepidoactylus lugubris), the Pelagic Gecko (Nactus pelagicus) and the Braminy or Flowerpot Blind Snake (Ramphotyphlops braminus). These species are all excellent colonisers as it only takes one individual to reach an island in order to establish a population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back