Virgin Snake Keeper

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flippy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After wanting a snake for years, my partner thought it would be a good idea to surprise me last week by going out and getting one.
Was a very nice early christmas gift
I'm keen on Jungle and Olive pythons but I thought I should start somewhere small and easier as I'm a virgin to the world of legless things, so she went for a Stimsons. Looks great and seems very curious about everything around it.

We have 3 Eastern Water Dragons and 3 Turtles already so it's a nice addition

Went through it's first feeding with no problems, however, I'm still getting used to putting my hand inside a snake cage (I know it wont hurt). It just doesn't seem natural. I am a snake catcher but they've always been at the end of a pole or in a bag. Still waiting for the first bite to come.

Currently we have it in a 3ft aquarium tank but I'm looking at building a more suitable home.
There are plently of pics of built homes, but if anyone knows a good place for designs \ plans it would be much appreciated. I have been checking out a lot of the threads on here and some great info

congrats ! how old is he/she ? a 3 foot tank is the right size for an adult stimmy ... what is on top of the tank ?

i would love to see some pictures of her/him and the tank, i love all the "ants" :)

welcome and congrats, as Liasis has mentioned - what do you have as a 'lid' - being a catcher i'm guessing you know how strong and determined they can be, and i'd hate to see a thread 'I've lost my birthday present' LOL.

as for the bite, no it wont hurt, Kittens are far worse and yes its a mental thing that we need to get over which can sometimes be the hardest thing to do...

make sure you post pics when you can

Congrats. Welcome to APS
Snake catcher afraid of pythons, thats funny, true though. I have gone from fearing bites to almost looking for them. Not bad really, sometimes they itch afterward which is worse than the bite lol.

I'm with Daniel the itch afterwards is a pain in the butt the bite is nothing it's just a mind game we play with our selves and no matter how much you know it's all good and it won't hurt your head will still play with you for a while...We're all taught don't touch snakes as kids - takes a while to get rid of the ingrained message...Once you do you will loooove it and I'm sure in 6 months you'll have another one or so more lol they're addictive : p

Cheers all.

I'm using some chip board cut to **just** fit iver the top. It a very tight fit that I have to use a lever to pop it off so there's no chance of the little one getting out. However, my partner rang me the other day saying it's escaped and started tp panic tear apart the house. I couldn't work out how as I sat and watched it's movements for the first few hours of being in the new home and while it checked out everything there was no way for it to break free, so I suggested getting the heat pad and putting that on the floor to attract it over night. When she reached in to grab it, there it was, curled up under the substrate next the pad. Huge relief. Obviously this means we need to turn up the heat a touch but it's not going anywhere.

i started with a glass 'fish tank' with the tight fitting chipboard, and my coastal use to get the wobbles from pushing up on it so hard, i wound up putting duct tape across the corners and weights on the top. - she had large holes in the top that had steel gutterguard covering them (screwed on) for ventilation. never assume they arent strong enough, since my 6mth darwin wrapped my wrist to the point where it turned blue, i have a new found respect for the strength of the little ones and a total different level of respect for my 6ft + coastal (and still growing)

never say never !

i wound up putting duct tape across the corners and weights on the top.

^ Just thought I'd mention, use tape with caution or not at all. The adhesive can cause damage to scales if the python comes in contact with it.

Congratulations Flippy on your new addition - you can never do enough research or ask too many questions.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
^ Just thought I'd mention, use tape with caution or not at all. The adhesive can cause damage to scales if the python comes in contact with it.

i cant see anywhere that i said the tape was on the inside of the tank, i was commenting on the possibility of the chipboard being pushed UP by the snake...... the duct tape was across the corners, on the OUTSIDE of the tank, securing the chipboard to the glass tank, not much point in putting tape inside the tank when your trying to stop it being pushed UP :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back