Vitamin D and Diamonds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tourett

Reaction score
I've seen it suggested that you give your Diamond vitamin d, particularly if you dont have a uv light. Is this neccessary, even if they get (non Direct) light from window all day every day.
If so, how do you give it to them.
Tourett

this is the million dollar question.........some will say yes some will say no. The best thing you can do for you snake is take it outside. better then any U.V tube or suppliment...............just ask afro, he tells me that almost everytime i see him :p

Vit D needs other contributors to be absorbed by the body.
If in doubt you can sit outside with it in the sun and let it catch a few rays once a week and its free(for now).

sorry SW. just noticed that youve already said that.

Firstly i believe that getting light from a window may not work as i've been told that glass filters out UV rays. I am not too fond of UV tubes and i havent met too many diamonds that have enjoyed basking under them. Letting them sit in the sun for 20-30mins a week(or more)would be ideal. any other vitamins they need they should get from their food. All my diamonds are kept outside but i have friend who breeds diamonds and his adults have never seen sunlight and they look okay(so far, anyway).

You could try one of those collapsible enclosures. A good mate gave me one recently! It lets you leave your snake out to bask without the fear of birds getting at it, and you can go inside if you get bored, and still let the snake bask. I'd make sure that at least one corner is in shadow though, so it doesn't get too hot. (Gotta watch the sun though - damn thing moves - very inconsiderate!)

My diamond gets about 2 hours a week that way.

Glass blocks out virtually every bit of UV light. I think it is like 99 percent of it. So you may as well not bother keeping it near a window if it doesn't suit you. Out in the sun is the best for diamonds.

SPeak to stockeh. He has a collapsible enclosure for his diamond. Great things they are.

And with the UV light situation, I do use it for my diamond but he neer uses it and prefers to be in his hide. Maybe sunshine everyweek like everyone else has suggested is better. I might just start doing that more myself. :)

Re: RE: Vitamin D and Diamonds

lutzd said:
(Gotta watch the sun though - damn thing moves - very inconsiderate!)

yeah u get that ay :evil:

RE: Re: RE: Vitamin D and Diamonds

The mesh enclosures from the Herp Shop are rippers rita :) I have half a dozen of them and they are really great for your sunloving herps :) Cheap too which makes them even better :) Do your snakes a favour and Give the Herp Shop a call on these :)

Re: RE: Vitamin D and Diamonds

hugsta said:
Glass blocks out virtually every bit of UV light. I think it is like 99 percent of it.

How is it then that you can get sunburnt through a car window?

I don't think I've ever met anyone who has...??????

You can get sunburnt through a car window if the window is down. Happened to me in Zimbabwe when I was driving around without a shirt on because it was so warm, and I can tell you - sunburnt nipples are VERY painful.

:p

Hix

Thanks everyone, I've seen the colapisibles in the the shops before I investigate further.
You have all convinced me that the sun is best but just for interest sake, how do other people give Vitamin D to their pythons.
Tourett

if your thinking about gettin a collapsable outdoor net i suggest you go to the discount or bargain shop and see if you can get one of those nets for drying food etc..you may need to make a couple of innovations as the one i have has threee sections so i cut it so my snake has more freedom. does the exact same thing. differece....one from the herp shop cost you around $50, i got mine for a few dollars.

hugsta wrote:
Glass blocks out virtually every bit of UV light. I think it is like 99 percent of it.

How is it then that you can get sunburnt through a car window?

You can't

You can still be burned by the sun through glass, it is just not sunburn in the sense of over exposure to UV, but rather exposure to excessive heat, especially considering that glass magnify's the heat from the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back