Vitticeps & Barbarta

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviruthless

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and just had one question: I've looked around and it seems every time someone mentions breeding eastern and inland beardies together there's a lot of backlash. Why is this so? Why does it appear to be so taboo to breed them together? Thanks :)

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and just had one question: I've looked around and it seems every time someone mentions breeding eastern and inland beardies together there's a lot of backlash. Why is this so? Why does it appear to be so taboo to breed them together? Thanks :)

Did you know thats its illegal to cross-breed 2 different Reptile's together here in Australia.

The Pogona Barbata & Pogona Vitticeps are both 2 different species of Bearded Dragon not Sub-Species.

We don't want to end up with Bearded Dragon's that a half Vitticep & Barbata, we want to keep them pure and help protect each Species for future generations to see.

l read in your profile that you have 1 Pogona Vitticep and 1 Pogona Barbata, if l was you l would just keep 1 pair of what you have and depart with the other one, we don't want to see Reptile keepers like you cross-breeding these 2 different species of Bearded Dragon, and end up with Vitticep x Barbata, you could end up loosing your licence or get fined for cross-breeding these 2 Bearded Dragon's

lf l was you l would contact your local wildlife authority and ask them if its true that you cannot cross-breed 2 different Reptile's together and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Did you know thats its illegal to cross-breed 2 different Reptile's together here in Australia.

We don't want to end up with Bearded Dragon's that a half Vitticep & Barbata, we want to keep them pure and help protect each Species for future generations to see.

It is not illegal to hybridize reptiles in NSW, there are a few hybrids on the NSW DECCW species list. They however do not recommend you do it.
The two species naturally intergrade in various areas within the boundries of their distribution, though there is no reason at all to cross breed them in captivity, it is usually done out of greed only, as the offspring really have nothing to gain.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Just to let you know, I have never planned on breeding them. I got an eastern first and wanted to get him a friend only I could not find another eastern. If they did breed, I would not have to incubate the eggs... Surely you can't get fined if they do breed and you destroy the eggs???

no, just feed the eggs to a bluey or such... not good to put the female through it all for nothing though, it is taxing on her body.

I have an eastern and a central, but they're both girls, and best of mates. In fact, they get really sad if they're left alone now, and when you put them back together, they lick each other and then cuddle. It's really cute!!
I know someone who was given 2 crosses, and she gave them to someone else, who then gave one to a reptile park. I dno't know what happened to the second one.
In America the crosses are classified as German Giants because they're so much bigger. Is that right?

From what I've read (on here actually - lol) the german giant is something different... Crosses are really looked down on... I wasn't looking to do anything like that, just wanted to get Hector (my eastern) a friend... They are really cute together :eek:)

Aww I know! Any pics? Here's my two girls together.
my-girls-23121.jpg

And can anyone explain to us - what exactly is a german giant?
my-girls-23121

They are just gorgeous! I'll try and get a pic of mine soon - they don't like staying still though! How old are yours? Have you kept dragons before?

lf there the same sex like your 2 are Lizardjasper, l don't see why it should be a problem keeping them together, cause there is no chance they will breed together like they would if its a male & female living together.

l agree with you JasonL why put the female through alot of stress in mating and waste all her eggs if there both not the same sub-specie of Bearded Dragon, you are right about the Vitticep & Barbata to come in contact with each other in the wild in some areas and could intergrade in various areas within the boundries of their distribution.

I was led to believe the 'German Giant' is the Barbata & Vitticeps crossed.

Like lizardjaspar, we also have an Eastern girl who is best mates with our Central female. They lick each other too, share food and water bowls, basking perches; sheesh, they even SLEEP together in the same bed! Rose (our Eastern) is a real flirt with our two Central boys 'though - we have to be VERY vigilant about keeping them separate, as you would if your two were different sexes. Here's a pic of our two lovely girls going to bed...

that eastern is so cool. ive never seen one that colour. it looks very good. and the central has some amazing colouration. nice pic

Rahni29, Jasper turns 4 this coming December, and Pepsi 3 this coming October! They're my first bearded dragons ever, but I have had alot of experience with them thanks to all the adults and babies I get to play with over at a friends. She has heaps of them!

Awww, I just love Rose! I have a friend who has a male and female eastern, and when I take Pepsi over, she flirts like mad with Cola, and poor Cocoa gets left out! And we didn't arrange the names like that, it just happened!!

I wonder if everyone could get together their eastern pics and then we could cross colours with colours and come up with a "Ric Walker" type of eastern! Wouldn't that be awesome!! lol

I was lead to believe the german giant was a cross too, that's why I'm asksing, I don't feel so silly now that you've said that too Lolipop!

Like lizardjaspar, we also have an Eastern girl who is best mates with our Central female. They lick each other too, share food and water bowls, basking perches; sheesh, they even SLEEP together in the same bed! Rose (our Eastern) is a real flirt with our two Central boys 'though - we have to be VERY vigilant about keeping them separate, as you would if your two were different sexes. Here's a pic of our two lovely girls going to bed...

In all truth, they are basically the same lizard in a slightly different body, they would not consider the other animal to be any different to themselves...
They are two top shelf BD's you have there nicman!

hehe... thanks for that Jason, but we've got nothing on YOUR collection! We're going to expand into blueys pretty soon too... can't wait!
Nic

Yeah, I read that thread - couldn't believe you were actually HAPPY about that - I was stunned! I honestly couldn't imagine my home without beardies running all around it :) . Mind you, I'm not going to limit myself to beardies - just waiting for more room and better job security.
Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back