volenteering at zoos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. im interested in volenteering at the territory wildlife park and their afew thing id like to know from people who have volenteered there or any wildlife parks/zoos.

what are the things u do there
do u need any experience
are there any perks(get free or cheap cricket and mice)
at the TWP are the reptiles in the enclosure the only ones there
can u choose how often and when u need to go there

Volunteering is good, depending on where you work. I know people that had great times but I also know people that had a less pleasant time. Generally you don't need experience just time
work generally includes cage cleaning maintaining of the grounds and if you're lucky a bit of feeding. Free stuff..sometimes depending on where you work. Mostly in zoos there is only about 20-30% on display the rest is off display for diffrent reasons like, disease, breeding quarantine etc.

similar to that at gosford. they have large numbers of other reptiles out the back which they change regually so they don't get stressed out. they also use them for demos and for venom milking.

go for it their top people you will learn alot

ive seen the oenepelli rock python. is the reptile section connected to the insect section

Tommo, hope the are able to find a postition volounteering but just a point to note. Not sure how all this public liability stuff affects voulounteers across the board where you are and even more specifically wildlife parks, but parks can be hesitant about taking on volounteers based on the public liabilty issues.
Rina

alot depends on why ur doing it (career/interest) in my experience, but that depends on how popular the volunteer program is.

with the insurance, ive had to pay $70 insurance for a 6 month volunteer stint, as long as ur covered its usually cool

cheers, jono

Re: .

basketcase said:
alot depends on why ur doing it (career/interest) in my experience, but that depends on how popular the volunteer program is.

with the insurance, ive had to pay $70 insurance for a 6 month volunteer stint, as long as ur covered its usually cool

cheers, jono

you had to pay them $70 that sux...you helping them out as well as getting exsperiance

i didnt mind paying, i wasnt expecting to get a position as the waiting list was huge and it was only my first application

i got lucky and now im working in the herps section one day a week :D

cheers, jono

does anyone know if TWP make volenteers pay for insurance. it doesnt matter though, ill still do it if i have to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back