W.A blackheadeds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricko

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wandering if there were many people that breed the W.A form of bhp? these are the white and black ones am i right? how big does these form get? Are they easy to handle like other forms? as i have one bhp that is big and easy to handle but i want to get a pair of w.a form hopefully this year early next year. Any information would be appreciated.

ricko

In Pythons of Australia it says specimens (WA) average 5 -5.5 feet in length. Good luck with finding some

i have spoken to people that have them but lost there cantact details ie email address.

Try Reptile Shed in the Quokka and Sunday's paper - fantastic breeder who normally has BHP.

i would but his are wild caught i would like to avoid that if i can but if i cant i guess ill maybe have to bite the bullet.does Bob withey breed w.a blackheadeds?

not all wa bhp's are b+w. they are the exception not the norm. Have seen alot of the ones found and only a few b+w. As stated in another post wa is a huge state and colours vary widely. Any one with b+w are lucky people.

Hi,

I was the first person to breed the Black & White BHP's. I used my male which I rec'd from G. Gow in 1985 and bred it to John Weigels female which was collected in 1983. Since the breeding John's female has died and as yet none of the young have bred for anyone.

A clutch was bred in Sydney 2 years ago, but i heard one of these also died after the breeding.

Also, I heard that Wildworld in Cairns also bred a clutch from some confiscated animals that they were given.

Apart from these I am unaware of any other clutches, however there may have been some recently that I have no knowledge of. These beautiful BHP's are becoming very common in collections these days, even though they are not being bred in captivity. Just goes to show some people spend a lot on fuel these days :?

There were some advertised in the trading classifieds here on APS a while back and i think there's still one available on the HERP TRADER.

Are these any different or harder to breed than any other bhp and if so why?

doing a breeding this coming season a trio of pilbarras.2 of which are wildworld offspring.

Obee

no they aren't b/w's but my understanding is that wa b/w's are a locality form.my female has solid black banding and white base'but not as spectacular as some b/w's i have seen.

obee

Cant see how they are becoming ' very common ' in collections these days as i guess you are referring to WA with your reference to not coming from captivity. There are STUFF ALL. Maybe 4 that i know of. Others are yellow and black but B+W still rare as. How many bhps are in captivity in WA and how many are breeding ( proir to licensing and even now ). STUFF ALL is the answer. And as for the spending alot on fuel i will clarify confusion there. We DO NOT get any results without working for them. Some places we look are over 2 hours away so there is a fuel cost i spose to get there but then the walking, looking part happens and when it is still 30 degrees at 3 am i feel we are entitled to our results as we have EARNED them by hard work. I think it has been forgotton that ALL reptiles came from the wild originally. All current CB animals are wild stock progeny. Apologies if i have misinterpreted the post but i dont think so.

Womas4me

I was in no way referring to any Black&White BHP's being held in WA. I was referring to these beatifull pythons that are now becoming common in Eastern collections.

Eight years ago only John Weigel of the ARP and myself had any of these colour form of BHP'S. With my breeding there was a few more. I kept half and John got the other. But as of early this year I have heard of over 80 of these being held. And thats only the ones I heard of. There are probably many more around than that.

My remark on fuel was referring to the drive from NSW to WA and back again. These collected snakes are just laundered as normal BHP'S.

Bob

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Apologies for misunderstanding your post. It's a shame that the majority get through rather than being busted.

hey womas4me have all the bhp's and womas you've got from the wild snappy? as i have heard that most wild stuff are pretty angry. your right we need to conserve our wildlife not take it out of the wild (except for in your case as you have been licensed to do it so w.a people can have these beautiful animals) good job

So far we haven't had any snappy Bhp's. They have been all bluff and haven't struck at either of us. We have had around 12 that we have picked up ourselves and most settle very quickly. We have a couple that love being draped around someone's neck so they can have a look around. The womas that we know of have been very gentle, beautiful snakes.

good to here, hope it all go's well for everyone over in the west, reptiles are the best creatures alive!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back