Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stencorp69

Reaction score
I see on the WA reptile keepers list we are able to keep Morelia spilota imbricata - South-western Carpet Python. But looking at the python distribution maps I see that the Morelia spilota veriegata North-western Carpet Python is also in WA - is there a reason (that the general keeper can ubderstand) why these aren't able to be kept in WA.

Sten

Sten. - People have to understand that this is just the start for legal reptile keeping in W.A.
It took ten long years of lobbying to get where we are today.

The initial species list was put together by the dept. of conservation & land management. Only they could answer why some species were left off the list. Initially they were not going to allow womas and olives on the list either.

A little patience is all it will take, as more species will be added to the list of approved species over time. We have lived in a prohibition state for many years now, it is time to sit back and enjoy the hobby legally now and watch it grow over the next few years.

I am a member of the herp. consultative comittee and I can assure you that more species will be available in the future.

westaussie whats my chances of getting my hands on a legal pair of pilbara olive in the next 1-2 years?

A little patience is all it will take, as more species will be added to the list of approved species over time.

Yes fair enough - I wasn't sure if all Morelia Spilota came under the same classification as I read happens under other jurisdictions. You've got to admit though its hard to see so many other species available elsewhere on sites like this and knowing you aren't able to keep them in your state.

Westaussie do you know if CALM are planning on expanding the list any time soon?
Kenshin- Barroni aren't on the list, and by westaussie saying CALM weren't going to put olives on the list i would say your chances are very very low. But westaussie would know more.

its hard to see so many other species available elsewhere on sites like this and knowing you aren't able to keep them in your state.

It was alot harder a few years back. At least you wont be treated like a criminal for keeping herps anymore

I would expect the species list to be extended in the next 12 months. To get Barroni on the list will be a struggle, but I cant see why we wont be able to get it on with a little patience and persistance.

westaussie said:
I would expect the species list to be extended in the next 12 months. To get Barroni on the list will be a struggle, but I cant see why we wont be able to get it on with a little patience and persistance.

*fairy dances*............. meh shut up im tired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back