Watagan State Forest

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDALDD

Reaction score
G'day all,

Last weekend I went herping for the first time, and since I was on the Central Coast in Morisset, the Watagan State Forest seemed as good a place as any to try. I went Fri, Sat and Sun night, but the latter nights were both cold and windy/rainy so I wasn't expecting anything and that proved to be correct. Friday night was slightly more successful though, and I saw my first ever leaf tailed gecko in the flesh. Common to some I'm sure, but I was over the moon. It was the only herp of the night, but frogs, millipedes and centipedes were all out and about, and so were huntsmans which provided me with about 4 heartattacks as the night progressed. Can anyone identify the red frog/toad? Or the black bugs? They were everywhere.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Attachments

• leafy.jpg
    leafy.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 76
  • leafy2.jpg
    leafy2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 75
  • leafy3.jpg
    leafy3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 63
  • toadlet.jpg
    toadlet.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 117
  • bugs.jpg
    bugs.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 77
Leaf-tails may be common but they are always fun to find at night. Their colour and pattern are always amazing.

The bugs are beetles. I can't see the mouthparts well but the beetles look like they would be in the family Carabidae or maybe Tenebrionidae.

Regards,
David

Thanks David, the leaf tailed made the whole weekend worth it for me. Next time I'm there I'll try again. I'm hoping to one day have herping nights as successful as yours seem to be, not to mention learn how to use a camera as well as you can! :D

cool thats not far from me, i was in Hervey Bay recently and couldnt beleive all the little geckos around the house..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back