We didn't have the green thing back then

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After reading Newtos post on the "old" days thought some of you might be interested in this. A bit long winded but good nonetheless :-

[h=3]We Didn't Have GREEN back then[/h]

In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment." He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

She was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But we didn't have the green thing back in those days.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for you.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. I used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But the old lady was right, we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?

PS I stole this off the net and it's not attributed to anyone.

Last edited:
These kind of arguments go back and forth.
>You didn't care for the environment!
>Yeah well we used less stuff than you.
>No but (argument)
>No, you don't realise that (argument)
etc

This is not an argument snakeluvver, it's a light hearted overview on the old days.
If I was going to have a crack at the younger gneration it would be quite pointless,
the older generations brought them up, no win situation : )

I remember when I was in primary school and my friends and I used to go bike riding all day on the weekends. I don't even have a pushbike anymore. I do still have the same rollerblades I did when I was 13... 9 years later and they still fit me! I've been going rollerblading with the same friend I used to go bike riding with, it's fun and makes me feel like a kid again. As for the environment, I'd love to have a motorcycle, it wouldn't pollute the planet as much as my car does... still trying to convince my mother though, she doesn't really want me to have one while I'm still living at home, but I certainly can't afford to move out (who can these days???).

LOL , I remember being laughed at for taking string bags to the shops, and because I chose to use cloth nappies at home and save disposable for when I went out!
Gee, these threads are making me feel like a real old fart... Oh wait a minute.... I AM
ROFL

Shhh, i think i still have some hiding somewhere.... I was really annoyed when I found out that my so-called environmentally friendly green, blue, purple and black bags were not 'green' at all !!!

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

Ah, water fountains. How I miss thee. Now I'm too worried someone's rubbed their junk on it.

COOTIES.

My nanna used to make them they were awesome, also the plastic ones were good aswell.

OMG, anyone remember the 'string' bags that were made of strips of bread bags crocheted or knitted together. ???? Reycycling at its best

bread-tote-standing.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

pfft older generations did more damage to everything in general, two major examples would be industry and fast food. check mate. i could also spout on about cigarettes and alcohol, not to mention how the new generations have to some how fix racial problems. older generations did more damage in every facet of life. Who has it harder now?

*fingerpoint. Fingerpoint, fingerpoint, fingerpoint. Nit-picketty-pick-pick.*
No... wait... is that what we're meant to be doing? ;)

I love that string bag Jax; I'd rock that to the shopping centre!

pfft older generations did more damage to everything in general, two major examples would be industry and fast food. check mate.

So? Our generation is going to be blamed for Global warming and not fighting for freedom. The older generations did so much with what they could. Remember, they didn't have the internet, mobile phones or digital cameras to record every waking second on. Information spread very slowly, but when it did, they acted on it. We just sit behind computers and complain how hard our lives are, rather than go out and protest/riot.

Also, you don't have to eat fast food. Fat people like to blame everyone but themselves for that one, because it's SO HARD to put down the FORK!

i could also spout on about cigarettes and alcohol, not to mention how the new generations have to some how fix racial problems. older generations did more damage in every facet of life. Who has it harder now?

People are weak. That's not the older generation's problem. We have it WAY easier. We have information at our fingertips, global educational systems, the luxury of being able to communicate instantly with someone on the other side of the world. We don't HAVE to drink alcohol, but we do. We don't HAVE to smoke, but we do. You wouldn't be bitching about how hard your life is on an online forum, if it wasn't for the older generation.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN.

Last edited:
I remember when I was in primary school and my friends and I used to go bike riding all day on the weekends. I don't even have a pushbike anymore.

I still have a pushbike, and have used it to get to and from work for the past couple of years.
Doesn't really help the argument for the younger generation however, as it has a small electric motor onboard!

Wow Cleothecoastal, thanks for keeping things light hearted.
Way to go!

OMG, anyone remember the 'string' bags that were made of strips of bread bags crocheted or knitted together. ???? Reycycling at its best

bread-tote-standing.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heres a string basket from 1,000 generations ago. I bet their parents said the same thing about their kids that we say about ours. Just the accessories change.

This old lady from Gali'winku on Elcho Island spends months making one of these. She got into big trouble with one Art Centre manager for using green string from onion bags in some of her baskets. Bloke was a fool and I said so. She liked me and I used to meet her on the beach searching for these tiny shells.

Her main fear for the new generation was that they had forgotten the knowledge that makes these people the oldest continuous living culture. They prefer iphones and dvds. But there are plenty of them learning the knowledge too. It is a living culture after all.

The basket has deteriorated and suffered some micro insect attack and I would like her to rejuvenate it but I'm scared to ask about her. She was very old 20 years ago when I bought it and I'm afraid she may have impoverished the world by leaving it.

DSC_0177.jpg
DSC_0179.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back