Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post some pics of my romantic weekend away herping and birding :)

Since my herping skills are limited to the animals I trip over, I didn't really find much to be proud of. But I ran into a friendly RBB, a small GTS, and some skinks that I don't know anything about (maybe someone will idea them for me ;) ).

Also heard (but unfortunately didn't see) some Albert's lyrebirds, which was absolutely amazing, and got to watch a great display put on by 4 male and 2 female Eastern whipbirds one morning. Lots of other great birds; wompoo pidgeon, crimson rosellas, king parrots, jacky winters, a white-throated tree creeper (!!), spectacled monarchs, logrunners (one of my favs), tawny frogmouth, noisy pittas, Bassian thrush, Rufous wagtails, Eastern yellow robins, satin bowers, green catbirds, pale-yellow robins, white-throated scrubwrens..... that'll do :)

The spiders were fun, and the mammals were nice, too; one mother of a ringtail (!!), mountain brushtail, red-necked and red-legged padies, swamp wallaby.

Great weekend, hope you like the pics (sorry the bird pics are pretty low qual - even my f2.8 lenses were struggling in the overcast morning rainforest light. Or maybe it was just me :oops:)

Friendly Huntsman
DSC_2191.jpg

Trapdoor
DSC_2195.jpg

Platform Spider (I think...)
DSC_2203.jpg

Fuzzy Caterpillars
DSC_2206.jpg

Skink 1
DSC_2245.jpg

Skink 2
DSC_2484.jpg

Skink 3
P1020330.jpg

Skink 4
P1020328.jpg

Red-bellied Black sunning
DSC_2261.jpg

...we helped him move off the path...
DSC_2292.jpg

Male Eastern Whipbird
DSC_2344.jpg

Female Eastern Whipbird
DSC_2352.jpg

Spectacled Monarch
DSC_2504.jpg

Bassian Thrush
DSC_2380.jpg

The Biggest Wasp Nest EVER
P1020277.jpg

Wasps
DSC_2418.jpg

Pretty pool
DSC_2493.jpg

Friendly Leeches
DSC_2384.jpg

Leech Legs
P1020332.jpg

looks like a good trip - love the rbb shots and the friendly leechs made me laugh :lol:

thanks, mate! was a great weekend away, but sooo many leeches...

Need to put up a bl00dy warning for all us aracnaphobes(sp). took me 5 min to be brave enough to come back into room after that big hairy spider appeared on the screen.
nice photos though lol

Nice pics! looks like you saw a good amount of wildlife. The monarch and whip birds are impressive - I can never get near monarchs and whips are so secretive!
Are you sure the wasp nest is a wasp nest? looks an awful lot like fungus to me?
Where'd you go to see all this stuff? :)

Are you sure the wasp nest is a wasp nest? looks an awful lot like fungus to me?
Where'd you go to see all this stuff? :)

Hey, yep the pics don't do it justice, but definitely a wasps' nest, not fungi. At Binna Burra and Lamington Nat Park, QLD.

to my best knowledge...

skink 1 - Murray's skink Eulamprus murrayi
skink 2 - Carlia pectoralis (???)
skink 3 - Saproscincus rosei
skink 4 - (???)

Man, skinks are HARD!

Need to put up a bl00dy warning for all us aracnaphobes(sp). took me 5 min to be brave enough to come back into room after that big hairy spider appeared on the screen.
nice photos though lol
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry i almost pissed my self when i read that

Thanks for the comments, all.

nice pics!! hoped you would get some this time of year. what camera/lense do you use?

Hey, carmen. I've got a Nikon d300. The close photos were taken with a 105mm f2.8 Nikon macro lens, those further away were either a 70--200mm f2.8 nikon, or (more likely) a 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 nikon lens. This is not the right lens for the rainforest! But that said, it is much lighter than the zoom 2.8 lens, which I still struggle to hike more than about 10km with (by the end, it feels like it weighs about 10kg on its own!) :)

great photos kristy LOL there must have been $#@! load of leeches

Great pics Kristy, where did you go?

And I hope you gave each other a thorough checking over for leeches when you got back ;)

i love threads like this where people post pics of threads of herps they have found its awesome kristy make a group like backyard herpers or something we could all share pics of herps we have found it would be awesome

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
I'd be taking salt or matches for the leeches next time tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back