Wetland For Primary School

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian snakes will move and take up residence in the area wether there is a wetland or any other type of garden in the school or not. The more control you try to put on young kids, in areas like this, the more they will try to push the boundaries.

It's a great idea.

Would be nice for the school to include the care and observation of the wetland area and it's residents as part of the school curriculum - do they still do nature studies in infants and primary school ?

If venomous snakes are likely to visit the area sometimes, then it should be fenced off and made "visit under supervision of a a teacher" ONLY. Though I expect snakes will tend to avoid contact with noisey kiddies given the choice.

my daughter was at a school surrounded by bushland and dams and the like here in qld, they had this guy from ( please edit if i am not allowed to say this ) deadly australians come to the school and teach them stuff maybe programs like that would be good for all schools to run?

i think all school should have a nature/ wildlife section in yearly learning and that making frog bogs gardens and so forth is a great idea afterall if we are expecting the comming generations to look after the place they had better learn its just not all about computers and hi tech stuff :)

While they dont have a wetland my kids school has a frog pond and they are located next to a disused railway line. There are several sightings of RBBs a year and neo nates are often found. After consultation with myself, Railcorp and the then minister Railcorp agreed not to decimate the vegetation on the rail corridor as it was suggested that this would drive all the snakes and rodents from the corridor in to the school and surrounding homes as well as removing native animal habitat. Various birds as well as bandicoots. Yes I have picked up four so far in the area. Instead Railcorp paid for low barrier fencing along the exposed playground area. Just recently the school had a sandstone sculpture of a snake placed in their native garden.

Hey Peter, can you explain the low barrier fencing ?
I have had a few ideas for this as well,
it needs to be low enough to step over,
yet curved in such a way as to act as a snake barrier,
and of course cost effective..

Its basically strips of colourbond place onto the ground along an existing chainwire fence that runs from one end to the other. It doesn't close of the school at either end but just stops snakes moving across the fence line. The can if they desire climb over it but generally wont. A quick walk along the line 2 weeks ago revealed 5 rbbs in within a couple of hundred metres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back