what are good names for turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom$

Not so new Member
Reaction score
what are good names for turtles?

Actually i'll change that one to nothing, as no matter what you call them they aren't going to come!!

I have 2 saw shells, one is much darker than the other. So they are named Day and Night

i have 2 murray short necks and named them Tur and Tel:lol:

Can't go past Yertle though:D

Actually i'll change that one to nothing, as no matter what you call them they aren't going to come!!
That is actually something that could be debatable, turtles are very smart(well for reptiles) and definately can recognise their owners and can hear, recognising indvidual names would probably be a bit of a stretch but they would probably learn to associate you speaking with getting food or something(maybe).

Agreed cris, if u have them in a tank it is likely they will come whenever they see you. I wouldnt be amazed if a seriously dedicated person got them to come to their name.

There's always Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael ;)

That is actually something that could be debatable, turtles are very smart(well for reptiles) and definately can recognise their owners and can hear, recognising indvidual names would probably be a bit of a stretch but they would probably learn to associate you speaking with getting food or something(maybe).

Probably is just a food thing mate, otherwise the same thing could be said about my fiancee's goldfish ;) :)

I wouldn't be all that surprised actually. Recently at Ron Tremper's place in Texas there was a turtle which took a particular liking to me. It ignored everyone else and followed me around, if I stood still or sat down it would stop at my feet, look straight up at my face and repeatedly make 'peeping' noises, sort of birdlike. Presumably it was just wanting food and didn't actually want to be my best friend, but it was acting just like a little puppy dog following someone around and begging. I felt really bad not having any food for it! :( I don't know why it liked me so much, perhaps it was something about the way I looked that it really liked, or maybe it just follows the tallest person it can see. Ron is pretty tall, perhaps he usually feeds it, but he wasn't there when we were in the turtle's area so perhaps the turtle thought I was Ron. I look nothing like Ron though, and one of the other guys was almost as tall as me, so presumably there was something about me the turtle found particularly appealing. In Australia I've seen captive turtles which will go wild trying to get to the nearest person (just because they're used to people feeding them). Especially considering the fact that they use audible communication, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could train a turtle to come when you call it (although quite likely it would interpret its name as you saying "Food! Come here if you want to eat!").

Commonly used turtle names: Winston, Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, Michaelangelo/other TMNT tribute names, Shelly/Shell, Ellie (for Elseyas), Emma (Emyduras), Chelsea (Chelodinas), Snail, anything beginning with "T". If I had one I'd probably call it Fred or Joshua or something.

What's that turtles name in The Never Ending story?
Or the one in the Rocky movie? (chopper was it?)

What about those turtles on Finding Nemo..What were their names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back