What can be kept with Turtles to assist with keeping the tank clean?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2

Thanks fellas.

My 'essay' was a little too long, so have split into labelled sections and divided the content into two parts - that were separarte answers anyway. Snuck if a few extra details while I was at it.

Cheers,
Blue

Tortoise, turtle or terrapin?
The terms ‘tortoise’, ‘turtle’ and ‘terrapin’ are not part of scientific classification. They are common names. Beginning of the 1970s there was a push to get the terms to align more with the scientific classifications and therefore be more meaningful. Scientific classification distinguishs between those adapted to a completely terrestrial existence and those capable of living partly or wholly in water. Terrestrial forms have solid, stubbed feet with short, thick digits bearing broad flat nails and lacking any webbing between them. Partially aquatic forms have less robust limbs, with relatively much longer digits, each bearing a claw and with substantial webbing between them. In totally aquatic species, the upper and lower limbs are relatively short while the digits are elongated and interspersed by fleshy tissue to form a flipper.

Initially, Australian freshwater chelonians were called tortoises. In particular, Chelonia longicollis was known as the Common Snake-necked Tortoise. (That name is still used today by some.) They were more often sighted when on land and I am sure a lot of people did not realise just how aquatic they really are, as many used to kept in pens or on a chain attached to the shell, with only a bowl of water available for drinking.

Based on the fact that all land chelonians worldwide were called tortoises and that all totally aquatic chelonians worldwide were called turtles, it was deemed appropriate that Australia’s freshwater chelonians, which are semi-aquatic, bar one that is fully aquatic, should be referred to as turtles.

Dragon-nut is correct about the origins of terrapin. It was originally applied to certain members of a genus of North America brackish water turtles and has been picked up by the pet trade in the UK and is generally used to apply to some or all semi-aquatic turtles. This usage has fed back to the USA where the term now has a much broader use that originally. We would not use the term at all under our system of common names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if a macquarie short neck would get along with a krefft turtle if put in the same tank??

Also, my turtle is best friends with a Bumblebee Goby and the only problem we have with excess algae is directly under one of the lights which is also near a window and gets natural light. We clean it with a brush and we have no problems.

No comment ! i`ll get in trouble. lol. And thanks for the info Blue, I now know the real differences between turtles and tortoises. They say that your never too old to learn something new. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back