What is this snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSporans

Reaction score
This was photographed yesterday on North Turramurra Golf Course in northern Sydney (near to Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park). It was sitting out in the middle of the 17th fairway. Appologies for the bad picture but this is as good as I could get with my phone after almost walking into it. It raised up its head and about a quarter of its body and was standing still like a stick. It had yellowy orange colouring ariound the head. It didn't look lik a tree snake as the head ran straight into the body (like on a Black Snake) whereas from the pictures i have seen a treesnake has a more pronounced python shaped head.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG00111-20120115-1711.jpg
    IMG00111-20120115-1711.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 189
that is a common tree snake Dendrelaphis punctulata (green tree snake) its a colubrid and is non venomous

Thanks, that's reassuring since I almost stepped on it. Thinking back now the way it froze it was probably trying to resemble a tree branch.

the classic defence posture for these fellas is the "puffing up" of the neck area
here is a vid that will show you about them :D [video=youtube;-hLd--bLle0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLd--bLle0&feature=plcp&context=C301f600UDOEgsToPDskIft a2cielNs0BJyyirTgeF[/video]

i attached the file so it should open larger. it had to be close to 2metres long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back