What length fluoro tube for a 1200 long tank - double or single?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm adding the finishing touches to my blue tongue enclosure at the moment 1200 X 600 X 600 - being a newbie there's so many things to sort through! it can be a little confusing to start - probably more from over thinking things than anything.

I'm wondering whether there are any 'ratios' or fluoro tube length for an enclosure? I think i have the heating sorted - i'll probably use a Mercury Vapour bulb for the blueys basking spot and then at night a heat mat - all will be controlled by a thermostat (probably a Habistat Day/Night dimming)

I know some have said don't bother with additional UV etc but i want to as i can't guarantee that i can give him time out in the sun every week. So i was thinking of running a dual tube assembly with one tube being either a 10.0 or an NEC T10 and the other being a 2.0. I was planning on positioning this behind the front panel of the enclosure facing toward the back - i don't know if this is the best position to maximise UV exposure (happy to receive your feedback) or whether i should mount it running along the centre of the enclosure pointing down. In any case - is there any defined rule of thunb for fluoro batten length? should i use a 2ft mounted centrally, a 3 ft mounted centrally or should i offset both of these toward the cool end since i was planning on using a Mercury Vapour bulb for the basking spot?

Any thoughts appreciated

T8 Bulbs which are the standard fluoros are 12w per ft(300).

So a 48W bulb is what you need.

A MV bulb for a bluey is OVERKILL! and being on a thermostat will just destroy the bulb.

Your better off on a 60/70w reflector bulb and not having a termostat and positioning it just far enough away to have it at 30c on the basking spot. It's easy to do with lizards. If your thermostat fails on a MV bulb your fry everything!

i have not heard of any rules but for my monitors i use 3ft in a four foot works great and in another tank i use just a UV globe that fits into an es fitting as it was alot faster to set up IMO both would work fine in your case as would a 2ft globe. but if you dont use UV just give them supplements so hopefull MBD doesn't become an issue.

Listen mate there is lots of speculation on what types of uv globes to use I use compact globes for all of my reptiles apart from my adult frillys I use mv globes I have never had a problem with compact globes or tubes it's all personal preference how close can your blue tong lizard to it? My baby frillys get within 5 cm of a 26 watt compact 10 and I have never had a problem.

T8 Bulbs which are the standard fluoros are 12w per ft(300).

So a 48W bulb is what you need.

A MV bulb for a bluey is OVERKILL! and being on a thermostat will just destroy the bulb.

Your better off on a 60/70w reflector bulb and not having a termostat and positioning it just far enough away to have it at 30c on the basking spot. It's easy to do with lizards. If your thermostat fails on a MV bulb your fry everything!

Thanks Gillsy, i'll look at a 48W bulb - does the ligting i.e. the 10.0 (or NEC T10) and a 2.0 sound good? Also, i want to run a thermostat - a lot have people have said it's unnecessary but, being a newbie and also knowing how hot, and cold, my house can get i don't want to run the risk of frying the little guy... overkill - maybe - peace of mind - definitely. I was looking at the habistat night/day dimming thermostat - would that still kill an MV? the other option for basking spot heating i guess would be an infra-red globe. Would the 10.0 or the NEC T10 provide sufficient UV penetration in a 600H X 600W enclosure?

Thanks for your feedback

Listen mate there is lots of speculation on what types of uv globes to use I use compact globes for all of my reptiles apart from my adult frillys I use mv globes I have never had a problem with compact globes or tubes it's all personal preference how close can your blue tong lizard to it? My baby frillys get within 5 cm of a 26 watt compact 10 and I have never had a problem.

I agree - being a newbie though i want to err on the side of caution - a lot of people have said steer clear of them - atleast until i get more experience. If i mount all of the lights on the ceiling then it's 600 high so once i put substrate etc and rocks the closest he could probably get is about 400mm

I would not use a MV bulb with any thermostat as they are designed to warm up and down, I suspect you will kill it within the first few on and offs. And with a MV bulb if your thermostat dies and the bulb stays on you will do more harm then good. The normal bunnings reflector bulb gets to about 30c at about 1ft from the substrate, if your thermostat fails the worse thing you can do is have the light go off not overheat.

UV's are personal choice I wouldn't use a compact one, but it's up to you " hence why I said can cause eye problems"

I would personally just use your everyday spot reflector bulbs from bunnings costs $3 to replace instread of $20+

in the 4ftx2ftx2ft enclosures i just rebuilt i only use a single 2ft fluro slightly off centre and towards the middle front for viewing with the heatlamps in the right cnr/side of the enclosure lights up great for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back