What Skink???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi peoples,have found 2 of these in the last 2 days and haven't seen them before.Both were in my pool and couldn't get out,i just missed catching the first one which was easily twice the length of this one pictured.I have looked in Wilson and Swans new book and could only match it to the Ctenotus spaldingi but the distribution map is not in my area.

Opinions please,and the one i've matched it to is on page 189 in Wilson and Swan,nothing else looks the same that is found in my area on the dstribution maps of all the possible Ctenotus sub species.

2005_0531whatskink0158.jpg

2005_0531whatskink0156.jpg

Their tails are really long and the one i missed was quite a large skink with a tail muuch longer again than this one , so who can defintely tell me if i'm right in what i think this is or is it a different Ctenotus"skink"??

2005_0531whatskink0155.jpg

Definately Ctenotus. Looks like Ctenotus robustus, they're quite common down south.

The book in the background is Barkers book, Pythons of the World, volume 1 - Australia. I can recognise it from a mile away. Worth a fortune these days.

Is this the guy they call a "3 lined skink" ?? (Not much of a skink person.)

may i ask daavid what a copy of that book with the barkers signature and still in shrink wrap would be worth?

Re: RE: What Skink???

Ricko said:
may i ask daavid what a copy of that book with the barkers signature and still in shrink wrap would be worth?

Why not ask the Barkers. As I understand they still sell it.

RE: Re: RE: What Skink???

Because they have been broken up into so many species its hard to pin down. You get regionalism occurring but Ive got a choice for you as I dont actually know where you are.
C. nullum or
C. eutaenius (less likely)

ctenotus rubustus...robust or striped ctenotus skink. bulky things.

C. eutaenius
P163 of Wilson and Swan.

Re: RE: What Skink???

Ricko said:

At a guess somewhere between $200 and $500.

It is a while since one came.

The ones that VPI are selling are hard cover. I don't believe they have many left.

Still a must have for the python fanatic and a signed hard cover with dust jacket will only appreciate if kept in excellent condition. Soft cover needs to be kept in wrapper if you are buying for investment purposes

Mags that's what i thought too but i'm a bit out of the distribution area although it's just a general distribution.Thanks guys and Mags gets the pony :wink:

Yeah i bought mine to read also not for investment but it is signed.What's the use of the best Python book in the world being sealed and you can't read it.I'll never sell mine so no nvestment there.

Yeah Mags,we get scrubbies here to but they don't come down my way with the distribution of them.They were supposedly not meant to be found here but have been around well before Rob Bredls Fauna park was here, which is where many of the scrubbies here have come from as they all escaped from the park twice and he just went back to Tully Gorge and collected more so they could get out too :roll:

There has however always been scrubbies here well before the reptile park was even there and i know a local for a bit of a colony of scrubs.

ooo browns ................... piccies piccies piccies :D i love scrubs they have the most interesting heads of any python in my oppinion

When i die they can bury my "Cogger" with me. The dust jacket is in the china cabinet in case you're looking (you can have that)
I think that skink is definitely a Ctenotus, unless they have changed the Latin around, and i would imagine it is a 'robustus'.
The ones I have seen are a little more golden in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back