Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Zack awesome pickup, why is your font so tiny it's nearly impossible to read.
Maybe you are Sherlock Holmes with great powers of deduction and a magnifying glass?

Not so clever Darlyn. Zack, you would not ask that question if you actually read all of the OP’s first post. He said quite clearly he thought is was some form of tree snake. So why wouldn’t label as green and a tree snake (in short hand)? And just may be he took two pictures and your only getting to see the second one. Surely you have something better to?

Those who feel compelled to lecture the OP on the do and don’ts, you need to go back and read posts #2 and #3 fully. It is just damn rude to come in half way and lecture. Little wonder people get put off.

The mythical “Yellow-bellied Black” was around in NSW since I was a kid. It originated from Highland Copperheads that were dark and had cream to yellow ventrals. I dare say it is also applied to dark, unbanded tigers. It was never used for CTS in NSW as there were no black forms present or if the were they were very rare.

I would betting the term good ‘yellow-belly’ country has caused it’s share of confusion – in reference to Golden Perch.

I find it interesting that some of you are quibbling about names and colours, yet you persist in calling a snake with multiple colour phases a “Green” Tree Snake. Cogger tried to maintain the single name “Common Tree Snake” for 1975 onwards. It would seem that the reluctance of those who know better to embrace that has seen both synonyms being referred to in more recent works.

Blue

Hey Bluetongue, I wasn't being clever. Was a good pickup that he looked at what the file was called.

Ok it seems this thread has gotten slightly out of control so i will ask the mods to close it here, but before they do, please look at this picture

P0ilu.jpg

It is from your own forum and looks very much like what i have seen around the lakes here in port
although not as striking as this fab pic, hence my confusion and wrongly naming the snakes i have seen,
I am sorry if my ignorance of species caused anyone any sleepless nights and i won't let it happen again, and as long as i am being guided by such professional Herpetologists i think i will be ok.

Thank you Ron

Last edited:
Nowhere near "out of control" yet :lol: Actually this is quite sedate :) Oh, and I don't think that link works?

yeah don't know what happened with the link, i have done an imgur image from my account there so should be better now, thank you VenomOOse

That looks very much like a black snake with yellow belly. Easy to see why people talk about yellow bellies black snakes, cause that one is no common tree snake

yep thats an exceptionally dark Common TREE SNAKE
look heres a thread with an black and yellow bellied common tree snake!!
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/green-tree-snake-blue-belly-77735/
really are you sure on that? as for the life of me i cant see a loreal scale something that is typical of all australian colubrids and would be fairly noticeable on that pic

ill say fairly confidently that the animal pictured above eating a rat , is NOT a common tree snake due to the lack of any loreal scale

Last edited:
my bad isnt (Dendrelaphis punctulata).a tree snake so that pic isnt a tree snake??woops my bad shoulda read the last comment

- - - Updated - - -

Blind leading the blind eh? :lol:

lol i feel dumb now thanks for the info so the thread that i put up is a tree snake an the op isnt a tree snake lol should stop doin what i do in my sig lol well in future

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back