What species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike14

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just got back from camp today, and last night a freind of mine gave me a new born scorpion, it is small and black/dark brown in colouration with lighter brown spots, its about the size of a 5 cent peice, and i was wondering what species of scorpion could it be? Our cadet camp was in douglas park in sydney NSW if that helps, any help would be appriciated to find out what species it is, oh and i know it has a more potent venom then most species becaise its ni[per/ claw things at the from are long not bulky like the les potent species
Cheer's, kane

Might be Centuroides vittatus, could be Cercophonius squama...

Posting pictures will help. Your scorpion won't give you a sting much worse than a mosquito bite. Given the choice, I'd take the scorpion sting.

hmm im not to keen on handeling this lil guy he is a bit snappy and i almost got stung earlier, he is way to small to take a picture of, but i will search those names u gave me and see if thats it thanks sdaji

i searched those names and i am pritty sure its the second what, do you know what the common name is?

i managed to get a pic of it but it was really hard and it is really blury but you get the point of its size

it sure looks like a 5c piece. Did u squeeze off a few live rounds little fella?

LOL, HEY DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW VENOMOUS THEY ARE? BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND HAND TAME IT BUT NOT DIE IN THE PROCESS ..

u wanna sell it or are you able 2 get more? thats a lychas sp and yes, they are in the buthidae family, thats the family with the killers and there has been a report that this sp has killed but i wouldnt worry they are pretty safe and i have never known them 2 b agressive, i used 2 keep them and now am after more. Also that is an adult, thats the max size they get, anything else you wanna know? But yea, dont worry he wont kill you, the 1 reported death was of an infant.

and you wont b able 2 hand tame it, thats goes for any invert but you can handle them

lol are you sure its full grown, and how much do they go for? are they rare in captivity

i did breed these once and the young didnt survive, they were only bout 2ml long but i'm keen 2 try them again

wen i last had them i got them off a guy for $15, they are not the best beginers scorp but it cant hurt 2 try and yes it is full grown

lol i think it is a male but im not great with sexing how much do they sell for and are they rare?

I would have said the bight would have been more like a wasp than a mozzie, I'll take the mozzie....LOL

i could sex it for you but i need a good clear shot of its underside, or i could describe 2 you how 2 sex it, $15-$20 is the norm, they are a common sp u just need 2 know where 2 look but rare in captivity, not many people keep em, just buthid enthusiasts like me

Cercophonius squama has thicker claws and is more shiny then the lychas sp you have

I agree, it's hard to tell from your pic, but it does sound like a Lychus sp. The common name for them is marbled scorpion. They don't grow very big at all, they are cool little scorps.

You can't tame scorps, same as you can't tame spiders, etc. I'd leave it alone, Lychus have been reported to give pretty nasty stings, and if it's like the one I used to have, they don't think twice before stinging, pretty defensive.

Anyone know if any scorpion sp. are found in higher altitudes of NSW, such as the blue mountains and Oberon? Or are they restricted to warmer areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back