What to do in and around Darwin.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abnrmal91

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I am going to be in and around Darwin in may for 1-2 weeks, I am trying to work out a plan for things to do. Anything you guys would recommend as a must do, probably getting a hire car so even a bit of traveling would be great.
I will be having a look around kakadu national park and going to Crocosaurus Cove at some point.

What else to do?

Cheers Daniel

I love Fogg Dam, some great walks to do around there and is only 45 mins from Darwin. If you want to spend a couple of days there I highly recommend staying at Eden at Fogg Dam B&B. It is virtually opposite the dam and at night time there were so many frogs just around the house! It also makes night time herping at the dam easy.
Also loved Litchfield NP, IMO even better than Kakadu, less touristy and is closer to Darwin too. Lots of walks, beautiful waterfalls and swimming holes.
Jumping crocs at Adelaide river was also worth doing.

Territory Wildlife Park is also pretty good too, but I found it abit much to walk around in the heat (such a sook!). The exibits are grouped in sections and there is a little train that takes you from one to another but waiting for them can take longer than walking the 500m or so to the next exibit. We didn't think much of Crocadylus Park, hardly any reptiles other than crocs and for the same price Crocasaurus Cove is better and has a fantastic reptile display.

Mindil Beach market is pretty cool, even if you don't like markets there are lots of different food stalls and is worth checking out even if just to watch the sunset over the beach.

If you are planning to travel around abit then Katherine Gorge is worth checking out aswell. I didn't think Katherine Gorge was anything special until we went there and I loved it, being in the gorge and hearing only natural sounds in such a beautiful place was one of the highlights of our first trip to the Top End.

Mataranka springs is meant to be good too, though we haven't been there yet.

Hope to see lots of pics when you get back.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this wet season is going to continue for alot longer than normal so you could find most things will still be too wet to visit and alot of Kakad closed. But if you're luck all the swimming holes and waterfalls in Lichfeild national park might be open, they are good fun to visit.

But May is a pretty good time of year (not the best) for some Barra fishing. Try and get on a charter out on the Daily River and you should have a blast. Beautiful country out that way too.

I've been a bit slack in the 2.5yrs we've been up here and now I have about 6mths to cram stuff in before we post back to Brissie in November so this thread will be good for me too.

Territory Wildlife Park was quite enjoyable for hubby and I. Everyone complains it's a bit expensive but I think it's well worth a look.
Litchfield is lovely. I've been twice and keep nagging to go back. Bit of a drive but there's wildlife everywhere if you take some of the walking tracks, and the swimming holes are good fun.
Hubby won't let me go to Croc Cove because he thinks I'd be upset at how small the enclosures are for the animals. If anyone has been or does go in the future I'd love to hear their opinions! Tempted to go just to say I've done it lol.
Mindil Beach markets are great. Don't eat before you go as there's lots of great food to be had :) Oh and try to be a bit early if you drive because finding a carpark can be crazy! Other markets are the Rapid Creek and Parap markets. Not as good as Mindil Beach IMO but just
thought I'd throw it in as an option.
My parents went on a Barra fishing tour to the Corroboree Billabong at the end of May last year and apparently it was amazing. Going to book hubby and I in for a tour this year for our anniversary - can't wait!
There is also a company or two that do sunset cruises on the harbour as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Other than that I can't help much. Still yet to see Kakadu and Katherine Gorge. I hope your trip is enjoyable and would love to see pics if/when you get the chance!

Can't go past barra fishin on the Adelaide river and head out to humpdy doo pub anyone u ask will know wat ur talking about

As they say when in rome act like roman so in this case drink way to much and get into fights with the aborigines. Thats the locals form of entertainment.

As they say when in rome act like roman so in this case drink way to much and get into fights with the aborigines. Thats the locals form of entertainment.

Take it easy champ.

We'll fight anyone. Except blokes from Hawkesbury because it's pretty much the same as punching a pregnant woman wearing glasses with cancer and in a wheel chair.

Last fight i had was with a french guy.

Last edited:
If possible see the art sites at Injulak Hill at Gunbalanya. It's (just) inside Arnhem Land but permits can be arranged. Sunrise or sunset cruise on Yellow Waters (Kakadu) is good if the boat isn't too crowded. Do a half or full day fishing charter. Rent a house boat on Coroboree Billabong for barra and crocs. Or the jumping crocs on Adelaide River (if you like that sort of thing, I dont.)

Crab Claw Island for a night, hire a self drive tinny and explore (if you're confident). Koolpin or Barramundi gorge for a couple of days if you bushwalk (permit required from Kakadu). Sunset cruise on a pearl lugger is reccommended.

Watch Gordo bash some French dudes (they ask for it).

What do you want to do/ see while you're here?

LOL!! Next time you bash a french dude, Gordo, don't forget the video, i'm sure you could still beat him and hold the camera at the same time. And don't forget the slo mo shots:)!

I once got attacked by a german girl in a plastic kayak up Nitmuluk Gorge, she knocked me out and into the water with a hard plastic paddle (luckily a canadian girl saved me).

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be overwhelmed with money? With friends, family?
What are your interests?

Ha ha. my last fight was with a French guy too. IV dont mess with those german girls! A mate was a Ranger in charge of building a walkway up Florence Falls in Litchfield and was supervising some fine german lasses who were pushing wheelbarrows of sandstone up the hill. I said "jesus! they look healthy". He said "forget it mate their t..ts are too hard to squeeze!" lol

Last edited:
...Crocasaurus Cove is better and has a fantastic reptile display.

Agreed, Crocasarus Cove has a brilliant Aussie reptile collection (as well as some from other countries)

Darwin Sailing Club for one of the the best places to view sunset in Australia...

Deckchair Cinema is pretty cool too.... www.deckchaircinema.com

I LOVE DARWIN!!!!

Ha ha. my last fight was with a French guy too. IV dont mess with those german girls! A mate was a Ranger in charge of building a walkway up Florence Falls in Litchfield and was supervising some fine german lasses who were pushing wheelbarrows of sandstone up the hill. I said "jesus! they look healthy". He said "forget it mate their t..ts are too hard to squeeze!" lol

Was he sure they were "lasses"?! I know I wasn't after a haed paddle to the right ear. Was it Gordo's french guy, no wonder frogs are getting rarer in Oz, all that bad press:)!

The "Dolphin Hotel", great place to meet the REAL locals (it's like Darwin's version of The Tardis- you never know where you'll end up, or who you'll end up with, or what you'll end up with), that's if it hasn't been condemed already?:)!

Mate the dolphin went decades ago. How long have you been gone? I saw some evil sights at that place after Tracey. Saw worse at the Cage at Lims!

Hey abnrmal, sorry not trying to put you off. It's beautiful, but chunky with character and life. Enjoy!

Was he sure they were "lasses"?! I know I wasn't after a haed paddle to the right ear. Was it Gordo's french guy, no wonder frogs are getting rarer in Oz, all that bad press:)!

The "Dolphin Hotel", great place to meet the REAL locals, that's if it hasn't been condemed already?:)!

What is the Dolphin Hotel? I've never even heard of that one...

That's so sad, Gordo:(! it was all the rage in 88', but maybe not for everyone?! Perhaps some of you older guys/gals remember the Dolphin legend and can help Gordo out??

I once shared a dry out cell (overnight) with David Gulpilil Ridjimiraril Dalaithngu after a night at the Dolphin (as a brief claim to fame).

Damn, Steve, thinking and typing are obviously not my forte!

That's so sad, Gordo:(! it was all the rage in 88', but maybe not for everyone?! Perhaps some of you older guys/gals remember the Dolphin legend and can help Gordo out??

I once shared a dry out cell (overnight) with David Gulpilil Ridjimiraril Dalaithngu after a night at the Dolphin (as a brief claim to fame).

i once threw David out of our house when he was on the rum and being ugly. I love the bloke. I once had to "get" 40 used billies for a "bush" fund raiser at Govt. house for the mob I worked for. I got the cans from a wholesale fruit importer, fencing wire and collected some timber. David and self drank a carton of vomit bombs and authenticated said 40 billies in an excellent afternoon of yarning. I'll never forget it.

Nice one, Steve:)! They're the things I remember about The Territory, more so than the tourist hotspots and local attractions. Spending some time with the local indig mob, without a closed mind, that is, IS the greatest thing about Northern Australia to my mind.

I worked at the cage in 1990. Anyhow that aside.....you can contact Mary River House Boats and hire a tinny for half a day at Corroboree Billabong....costs about $80 and the boat is ready waiting on a pontoon. Half day 7 - 12 so you can do a bit of fishing and/or go on a self guided wildlife watching trip......then....call into Corrob Tavern for lunch and a beer.....I used to do it all the time before i got my own boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back