What to keep ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Talanthas

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Well I'm new to keeping herps and could do with some input from others. I have some Christinus marmoratus at the moment but I rarely if ever see them. I was thinking about a couple of Broad banded sand swimmers but as I live in VIC I can't. I will have a tank that will be roughly 700mm wide x 350mm deep x 450mm high. Too small for a Blue tongue or a beardie :( So I'm stumped as to what I could keep.

What I am after would need to be

a) Inexpensive (No more than $50 - $60)
b) Easy to keep
c) NOT Nocturnal
d) Not able to climb glass

Any suggestions ? :?

o.0 wth is a mini skink? Can you suggest some species so I can get an idea on what you mean? Gecko species too if you can

just noticed not nocturnal so gex are out but still awsome! and by mini skinks i mean skinks that are small such as the common garden skink and three toes. i have common garden skink, 2 3 toes and one that looks exactly like a 3 toe but its spotted and has 4 toes! thats all i can think up.

Thanks for the reply. Any one else out there have some suggestions? Looking to get as much information as I can so I don't get the wrong animal.

Yeah Bearded Dragon. Getting one through a breeder maybe on APS should be in your price range. They can't climb glass, although glass is not a prefered enclosure material I have one in a glass tank which I have insulated with a towel, working ok. They sleep at night, awake during the day (most of the time). And they're easy to keep. Fun to watch, can be held and not usually aggressive. Great pet really!!

Great suggestions but he said the tank was 700mm by 35mm which is about 2foot by 1foot, and he's right is probably not big enough for those.

Maybe look into the pygmy beardies, they only grow to 12 inches so might be ok, at least for a while. I've only had big beardies so I'm not much help there!

Otherwise... um... I don't know. Maybe put hermit crabs into that tank and get a bigger one for more herps. That's what I did!

Or else get a mesh lid and get some frogs. The southern brown ones are cute and don't need too much heating.

I think that the pygmy beardies might be out of my price range as they are a tad more pricy than the normal ones. Was hoping to find something I could keep a couple of rather than just the one. Seems kind of cruel to let them live out their lives alone.

Have tried frogs but didn't do to well with them.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I might have to rethink the whole idea :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back