What type of beardie is a Jacky?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
Hi all

What type of dragon is a Jacky? Is that an eastern beardie? Are they as cool as say Central Beardies :D Do they like being played with are their requirements the same as other beardies. Are they good breeders? Do they come different phase colours? Are they as poplular as other beardies? Just asking cuz I've an opportunity to purchase some for a very good price and I've already got central beardies just wondering if I can set them up the same as the ones i've got or if they are more difficult to care for..

Thanks all

whytwolf

Yeah what he said :p

Jackies are cool :D They can look a little like beardies when they're babies but they're definitely not :p. I'm sure Luke will come on and give ya some info but he's got 4 and the 2 females don't mind being played with but the males bite :lol:. I think that's cos they weren't handled as babies tho and at least one of the girls was. As far as I know they don't really come in diff colour phases, at least not like the colours you get out of beardies. They can have nice patterning but seem to mostly be greys with some reddy orange sometimes. Think their requirements would be pretty different too. Let me know if you decide not to buy them cos I'm sure Luke will want some more females ;)

Have Luke SMS the fellow on 0425222670 straight away... he must SMS tho.the guy is at work and can't ring atm

I'm buying the last red phase beardie off this fellow :D

he has 3 jacky hatchies for sale and is willing to give a good deal :D

Ahh, yeah saw his add. What were the beardies like?? (Age and colour wise I mean)
I was going to contact him but couldn't be bothered freighting - I'm feeling lazy ;)

ah didn't realise they were hatchies! thanx anyway but he's hoping to have his own this year ;)

Yeah I sorta guessed they were hatchies :)
You don't have to post piccies, but I'm sure that you'll be so excited with your new arrivals that you'll just HAVE to anyway ;)

jacky's don't have colours like beardies, a lot are greys, but you can get a reddy colour through them, browns, a light orange colour....some are grey with really white markings.

they also change colours depending on their surroundings, one of my males which is grey went a light browny colour to blend in with a log.

as caring for them there is no real difference, they will eat vegies if you get them on to them at a young age, they eat crickets aand woodies as well. there heating requirements are proably a few degrees cooler in jackies, i like to keep them around 26-28 degree mark with a slightly warmer basking spot in summer. atm as i am cooling them they are sitting around 17 degrees.

if they get used to you they are quite happy to be handled, but as ouzo said my males bite becuase they never had that interaction. it just depends on what your after in a lizard, jackies would be better climbers, and prabably all around faster IMO, on the run jackies will run on hind legs and climb up the first tree they can.

anyway that is a basic run down on jackies, some people may disagree, but this is what i have observed with wild and captive bred jackies.

You know a fair while ago beardies and jacky's were classified in the same genus Amphibolurus, but thats getting a bit off track. But thats what taxanomic research has corrected. Although one thing which i remember from a long time ago living on the central coast, Jacky's are very similar to another species of Amphibolurus, A. diemensis, or the Mountain dragon. The Mountain dragon typically had more of a red colouration than Jacky's. I may be wrong, but as i recal Jacky's have very little red colouration, if any at all.
On the keeping side of things, from experience they do seem to need a good diet with a good spread of vitamins as they can be very prone to rickets, especially with lack of UV and vitamin D. Some may agree, some may not. thats just my piece. Cheers Rossco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back