Whats wrong with My beardies tail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond_python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All, one of my hatchie beardies has a kinked tail. It looks and feels weird. It is about 3 1/2 weeks old now. It has no problems with anything at all, just looks funny with his tail. It, along with other babies are for sale and I wanted to know what people thought of it before I put a price on the little tacker. Thanks. Sorry about the size of the pic. I need to get Zoe to show me how to re-size them. ;) :) :)

This is usually caused by high incubation temps. Doesnt really effect the animals abilities in any way, but people may not like the look of it so you may have to sell it cheaper.

Thanks Serpent. I will be selling cheaper. Most of my beardies tails came out normal and straight. 2 have only very small and minor kinks, this one is a major kink and the rest are normal. :)

And your right. Their ability is not affected in anyway. :)

Incubator temps were always between 30c and 32c. Never higher. As I mentioned. my other babies were fine. Just one with a badly kinked tail and another 2 with a minor kink you can barely notice. :)

Beardie Tail

:lol: I bought my little dragon with a bent tail and his name is Kinky Tail, he is quite happy but I didn't get him cheaper and it didn't matter, looks aren't everything he is a good natured little fellow and doesn't worry about his tail.

If you are looking at passing him because of his defect he could always come stay with me ......... :wink:

diamond_python said:
Incubator temps were always between 30c and 32c.

Dude, that's high!! Your not giving yourself (or more importantly, the eggs)a safety margin with those temps. I've incubated beardy eggs at 27-28 degrees. There's less chance of deformities if incubated at lower temps.

I was told these temps by a fellow Reptile Keeper which I shall keep nameless as you all know this person. Thats interesting info. Thanks all :)

PM me if you are interested in any of the babies.. I am happy for a deal for all six (2 have already been sold) or individually. The kinked tail one will be a little cheaper than the ones with straight tails. :)

I have had one with a tail that was curled for a weeks after hatching, it eventually straightened out on its own.
Had it not, I would have kept it. I nicknamed it curly. same temps incubated as the rest so no idea why its
tail was odd. :)

P.s likewise Serpentonge, I incubated between 28-29c for the same reasoning, I was happy to wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back