what's your creative outlet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defective

~ Yoda (2008-2020), you loved me more than life!!
Reaction score
mine is creative writing...mostly poetry but more recently with the stuff that has been happening with the IIH and shiz and not really having a way to express how it makes me feel i've been writing a story using my experiences. i'm not really much of a story writer but it has helped me to cope with such an unknown plus lying supine for four hours with nothing better to do after a Lumbar puncture its a good way to kill time..

i don't normally let people read what i write because it's like a diary, there are some that can and entries are based on how i feel at the time or if something around me has really inspired me to write. with poetry its normally free-verse which is one of the harder ways to write yet i find it harder to write one with meter (certain pattern) like iambic pentameter.

here is one of my more recent ones

The Surfer
The autumn leaves crash to the ground,
Like a wave crashes on the reef.
I hear a rustle, a surfer dude with dreads,
Crunches on fallen autumn leaves.

In search of something more than a cement city,
Grinding his battle axe sharp.
He reaches the ocean and runs,
Like a cheetah chasing her prey.

Designing my own clothes and making them from scratch with no patterns :) I started this when I went on a one week holiday and stayed for 5 months! I needed a whole new wardrobe and I discovered I was really good at making frilly dresses :)

It got to a point where I would wake up and make the outfit that I wanted to wear that day. My grandma set me up with a giant pile of fabric that I could choose from each day.

Building fishing rods, a couple with reptile themes. And yes flame away, i used rattle snake leather on this one. I figured the yanks kill em anyway so why not take advantage of the by product.

DSCF3001-5.jpg

DSCF3002-7.jpg

Sheded skin grip for a mate into joe blakes
DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3006.jpg

DSCF3007-2.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3002-1.jpg

I get fads....though I've liked sewing for many years. Every few years I make summer house dresses, just good enough to go to the local shops or wear around the house. These days it's just as cheap to buy ready made. Many years ago I wrote poetry and have kept it in a file, I like to play in the kitchen creating my own delights, last year I did pyrography (wood burned pictures) for a few months but now have so much of it, I'll have to sell some till I can do more. I keep a very special diary... I write to my mother... she died in 2008 and when I feel sad I often write to her .. like a diary of my thoughts .. and keep it in a special file. I don't do it as much as I used to. It makes me feel close to her.

Building fishing rods, a couple with reptile themes. And yes flame away, i used rattle snake leather on this one. I figured the yanks kill em anyway so why not take advantage of the by product.

DSCF3001-5.jpg

DSCF3002-7.jpg

Sheded skin grip for a mate into joe blakes
DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3006.jpg

DSCF3007-2.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3002-1.jpg

Hey MONTE, if anyone feels they need to flame you for this they need to be set on fire themselves :)

Those rods are fantastic......Do you sell them?

Last edited:
I have too many hobbies... probably why I'm so poor.
I sew, cross stitch, longstitch, embroider (by hand, not machine), folk art, Lead lighting, paint, woodwork, bead, patchwork etc etc you name it I've either done it, doing it or about to. As well as my herps, my birds, my mini's and gardening I collect Gems and minerals and I sell them in an online store too.

Beard, no dont sell them, there is way tooo many hours in a rod to make them viable (Just finished a split cane bamboo 120hrs), i suppose if someone wanted front the $$ i would do it, it is a custom rod after all.

That shed is like using wet tissue paper, but looks sooo good in the flesh and as far as i know is the first rod in the world to be built that way as i frequent aussie and international rod forums. It took lots of trial and error to get it to work. A mate and i are working on a scrubby shed rod tube atm trying to incorperate the head, not an easy task and atleast now i know 5 ways how not to do it.

Im always trying to think outside the square when it comes to rods. I have just sourced a supplier of fish leather (in 5 coloures) so thats the next project

the only thing I don't do is knitting or crochet

Beard, no dont sell them, there is way tooo many hours in a rod to make them viable (Just finished a split cane bamboo 120hrs), i suppose if someone wanted front the $$ i would do it, it is a custom rod after all.

That shed is like using wet tissue paper, but looks sooo good in the flesh and as far as i know is the first rod in the world to be built that way as i frequent aussie and international rod forums. It took lots of trial and error to get it to work. A mate and i are working on a scrubby shed rod tube atm trying to incorperate the head, not an easy task and atleast now i know 5 ways how not to do it.

Have you tried resin? a thick layer of clear resin over the top would make it useable and protect the skin. You may then have ppl more willing to hand over $$ cause they could safely use it!

Currently 'playing' in the shed doing snake tanks with rendered foam backgrounds (when I find time), but in the past I've also done dressmaking, cake decorating, knitting, crocheting, macramé & counted cross stitch. Funnily enough they're all creative outlets that start with a pile of raw material and turn into something spectacular (hopefully)
I'd go mad if I didn't have something creative to do

Great rods Monte, I also build rods, used to do it for a living but now days I do it as a hobby building rods for myself and a few friends. I've always thought about incorporating shed skins into a rod but have never actually done it.

Cheers,
Al

Writing and bad singing.

It got to a point where I would wake up and make the outfit that I wanted to wear that day. My grandma set me up with a giant pile of fabric that I could choose from each day.

Bloody hell, Ingie, what a useful skill to have!

Last edited:
the only thing I don't do is knitting or crochet

Have you tried resin? a thick layer of clear resin over the top would make it useable and protect the skin. You may then have ppl more willing to hand over $$ cause they could safely use it!

I use epoxy over the shed so the rods are useable, the last shot is preepoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back