When to move onto rats????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Reaction score
I have a childrens python that is feeding well on fuzzy mice at the moment. I am just wondering when it is better to move it over to rats (pinkies)?
With my diamond I started feeding it rats(equivalent size to an adult mouse) once it was eating adult mice.

I ask this because I hear that rats are better nutritional value than the equivalent sized mouse.

What are your opinions on this?

cheers

Jonny

You could probably start trying pink rats Jonny. Many people start their hatchies on pink rats as early as poss due to better nutritional value. why not buy just a few pink rats and have a go next feed. if they are too big or the snake wont take them, you can always try again a bit later.
Cheers :wink:

My Darwin first fed on pink rats, and eats nothing but rats. I've been told I'm lucky as snakes tend to prefer mice to rats. Mice must be sweeter LOL I'd start on pinkies too if I were you - I've also been told that they have better nutritional value - how true it is I don't know? Maybe Maccas has it on their new nutrition charts LMAO

Jonny, i tend to wait until they can take fuzzy rats before switching them over, but it doesn't really matter, if he's big enough to take pink rats give him a go.
Glad to hear he's going well.

Jonny, that rats are better than mice, seems to be the general consensus, although not with everybody.
I?m lucky with my diamonds, they take either, always have.
Even though it is a good idea to get them started as early as possible on rats, as it might get harder later on, I think comparing a pinkie rat, to a fuzzie mouse, anything with fur and slightly more developed, even being a mouse, I think would be more nutritional.
Not all that much nutrition on a pinkie.
Some of those pinkie rats I have seen lately are just about the same size as a weaner mouse, which is even better and cost the same.
Try a rat, you might be lucky and have no problem at all, and then you can feed alternatively and will have no problem when the pet shop runs out of one or the other.

Cheers Artie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back