Where are the frogs :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benan

Reaction score
Hi, im just wonderning what has happend to the frogs i used to have heaps croaking around my our fence poles and stuff no i done hear them at all!

are frogs becoming an endangerd species or something? (Sorry if that was a stupid question)

Well obviosly lots of frogs are threatened and dissapearing from alot of areas.
Im no expert on the issue but i suspect polution and other environmental factor such as competeion and habitat destruction would play a major role.

Add to this that it is virtually illegal to restore the dissapearing frogs to your area these days.

It is possible to encourage frogs to your garden by giving them a pond and plants etc. but IMO this often leads to favoring certain species(the ones that are already common and abundant) and if you cant bring in more local frogs you get stuck with heaps of a limited number of species(well thats what has happened near me anyway).

The government obviously could give a toss because they arnt koalas so basically alot of frogs are stuffed IMO.

The idiots i live next door to have this bush and LOTS of frogs live in it, but they use to capture frogs and throw them now they are gone

I wanted to ring cops on my neighbours but mum was friends with them.. would they have left because they were throwing the other frogs?

Add to this that it is virtually illegal to restore the dissapearing frogs to your area these days.

It is possible to encourage frogs to your garden by giving them a pond and plants etc. but IMO this often leads to favoring certain species(the ones that are already common and abundant) and if you cant bring in more local frogs you get stuck with heaps of a limited number of species(well thats what has happened near me anyway).

Restoring frogs being virtually illegal? Maybe there is a good reason for this? Why did the frogs disappear in the first place? If you know what that is, and have addressed it, frogs should move back into the area. Restoring frogs can do more harm than good. The movement of frogs and tadpoles about the place by well meaning "conservationists" can spread chytrid, further decimating frog numbers. Also there are several "feral" populations of native species in areas they are not meant to occur. Poorly identified tadpoles can result in cane toads being moved to new areas.

Building a pond with certain characteristics can encourage some pecies of frog. Low vegetation over the side of the pond often results in heaps of striped marsh frogs. Building a pond with 25cm high walls will stop ground frogs..... leaving it free for tree frogs to breed (most Litoria).

-H

Restoring frogs being virtually illegal? Maybe there is a good reason for this? Why did the frogs disappear in the first place? If you know what that is, and have addressed it, frogs should move back into the area. Restoring frogs can do more harm than good. The movement of frogs and tadpoles about the place by well meaning "conservationists" can spread chytrid, further decimating frog numbers. Also there are several "feral" populations of native species in areas they are not meant to occur. Poorly identified tadpoles can result in cane toads being moved to new areas.

Building a pond with certain characteristics can encourage some pecies of frog. Low vegetation over the side of the pond often results in heaps of striped marsh frogs. Building a pond with 25cm high walls will stop ground frogs..... leaving it free for tree frogs to breed (most Litoria).

-H

Frogs dont just jump around and get anywhere in urban areas, im not talking about moving frogs large distances more so distances that they would easily travel in unurbanised(is that a word?) areas.

IMO urban animal populations are largely dependant on ppl and how they do things. 'Natural' ways dont work well when there is a fence, road, polluted waterway or lack of suitable habitat inbetween.

It is also completely impossible for an idividual to address all the problems frogs face, about all you can do is provide them with a suitable habitat I have done that and i only have 2 species that are abundant litoria fallax and striped marsh frogs occasionally there are gtfs around and the odd toad here and there too. There are heaps of other species suited to and native to my area and yet there are only 3 species here and IMO that is very unlikely to change ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back