Where does out carbon come from? And what is a radioisotope anyway?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Where does our carbon come from? And what is a radioisotope anyway?

Reference for Bluetonguey bungy 1

So - what is this stuff we call carbon?

Carbon is awesome! Really really really awesome.

Let's take some basic facts about carbon first.... Blah blah blah... 6.... blah blah..... chain.... blah blah.... Let's assume you've scaffolded yourself to a Bluetongue1 equivalence.

I don't plan on reinventing the wheel, but I do plan on clearing up misconceptions etc and perhaps then allow myself to think that what i was taught had the potential to be correct.

The next lines come directly from Where Does the Carbon Come From? | Wired Science | Wired.com

Suppose you were to look all around the universe and count all the different elements. What would you find? Well, you would find a whole bunch of hydrogen and helium. But there is also quite a bit of carbon. Here is a chart of the relative abundances of the different elements from Wikipedia.

abundance_elements.jpg

In case you didn’t notice, I put an arrow at the carbon element so you could see it. Make sure you notice one other thing. The vertical scale is a log scale. This means that there is 3 times as much hydrogen as helium. Now, for the cool part. Hydrogen and helium are obviously common. Oxygen and then carbon are the next two most abundant elements. Way more abundant than beryllium and boron even though Be and B have fewer protons than either oxygen or carbon. Oh, one more note – this chart shows the relative abundance of elements in the Milky Way, not the universe – but you get the idea.

Why is there so much carbon? I guess maybe we should start from the beginning.

I am plagiarising which is a sin... I know. But it's ok... Because what I want to say is contained on these very websites:

So to save copying anymore, let's assume you know what a proton and a neutron is - and if you don't, the proton is the positive part and the neutron is the....

Neutral part... (if you accidentally said it's the negative part, don't be ashamed, but for future reference, the electron is the negative part - however arbitrary the charge sign is).

Stellar Production of Particles

There is another place where you can get: a) very fast particles and b) very many particles very close together. In a star. This is the fusion process in our star (also known as THE SUN). First, there is the proton-proton chain. In this process, helium nuclei are created from protons. Here is a diagram from wikipedia.

proton_proton_chain_reaction_wikipedia_the_free_encyclopedia.jpg

Basically, you start with 4 protons and end up with helium (and some positrons). Once the star produces enough helium, carbon can be made through the triple-alpha process.

talpha.jpg

And boom. Carbon. However, there is a problem. If you look at the above reaction, it is very unlikely to occur unless the carbon-12 produced is in an excited state. Wait, can a nucleus be excited even if there are no electrons? Sure. Think of it like an oscillating ball of jello. Wait, there is one other problem. Is this excited state of carbon even possible? This is known as the Hoyle-state – a state predicted by Fred Hoyle quite some time ago.

So far - this is lovely...

Bluetongue1 indicated this "The earth is not bombarded by carbon and never was."

I'd like to just indicate now this:

"If the carbon contained in the comets and asteroids bombarding Earth during this phase existed only in the form of simple carbon molecules such as formaldehyde, it would have also quickly evaporated, Cody said."

This is taken from Space Poison Helped Start Life on Earth?

Evidence suggests that even as early as 12,000BC we were still getting bombarded by LARGE carbon carrying comets and asteroids and in fact some rocks in Greenland back that up.

Earth has been and is STILL being bombarded by carbon.

The age of the remains of plants, animals, and other organic material can be determined by measuring the amount of carbon-14 contained in that material. Carbon-14, a radioactive form of the element carbon, is created in the atmosphere by cosmic rays (invisible, high-energy particles that constantly bombard Earth from all directions in space).

Read more: Dating Techniques - humans, body, used, process, Earth, life, plants, form, energy, methods, animals, carbon, substance, plant, waves, Relative dating, Absolute dating Dating Techniques - humans, body, used, process, Earth, life, plants, form, energy, methods, animals, carbon, substance, plant, waves, Relative dating, Absolute dating

So - this suggests that the carbon is already in the atmosphere - so where did the atmospheric carbon come from - you can't tell me it's just from women gas bagging all the time. I'm pretty sure that carbon in our atmosphere (upper) must come from some other source....

Even Bill Bryson mentions the inadequacies of C-14 dating because of the continual change of C-14 in our atmosphere.

Open air nuclear testing also contributed to C-14 in out atmosphere - another form of BOMBARDMENT (after all, a nuclear bomb is a bombardment by its very nature).

Nitrogen (which is what gets smashed by cosmic rays in the outer atmosphere) comes from.... Ahem.... Probably volcanoes and many other sources - it makes up 78% of our atmosphere and... Yep... When carbon falls from the upper atmosphere - it 'bombards' the earth!!!

Golly... I think I can safely say the word bombardment (by carbon) is not incorrect - technically it was less elegant than some other word (such as (insert Bluetngue1 word here)).

So - clarity shouldn't be taken to far from reality... Bombardment is here to stay.

The rate of decay is exponential to the quantity. It is continually decreasing, not constant.

Yes Bluetongue1 - you're correct here. It is continually decreasing... at around (as I suggested) 5730 (+/- 40) years HALF LIFE!

That's why I said - constant(ish) decay!!! Geeeee.... Is this another time you could have misinterpreted the elegance of a slim6y word vs the arrogance of a Bluetongue1 word?

My guess is yep....

All materials had to be made of fusion some how.... Let's stop there because my dog wants to play... His name is Piri. He actually doesn't care where his C-14 comes fro, he just knows (because I told him) that he contains some C-14....

He's a good dog really...

Last edited:
Dog named Piri? Tell me more.

Fantastic Slimey. You too are a chem teacher yes? I have a lot to learn after being thrust into it from a zoology background..

WOW! I just had a uni class on chemistry (I never did it at high school. My class assumed we had some understanding and I have 0) What you have just explained above took my teacher 3hrs to tell us. When I walked up half way through to state this class has no pre rec and I have no idea what the hell she was talking about and what could I read to get a basic understanding to help pass, she said not 2 stress I will understand soon..... :/

I now after reading this have a better understanding of what the F she was trying to say!!! Thank you!!!

Dog named Piri? Tell me more.

Fantastic Slimey. You too are a chem teacher yes? I have a lot to learn after being thrust into it from a zoology background..

Daniel - Piri is a wonderful dog pictured here:

393252_251588921564446_100001400210302_735220_1322135751_n.jpg

He was just a puppy in this picture....

Here is a picture of some random penguins I took last week... It doesn't represent anything above, but it points out one big, and very important thing... The carbon that these penguins are made of, probably came from the stars (and the sun in particular)... We're all made of stars really... Which I assume is where Starr9 got her name from... She was mentioning where most of her carbon first originated.

428105_305685639488107_100001400210302_879345_1126268484_n.jpg

I don't teach chemistry, well, not since the accident... (only kidding) - I teach physics and am happy to do so. I can't stand over pompous teachers that carry on like they know everything. The one thing I love to do is treat our students as humans. I may not always give them the 'university' education (because they're high school students) but I always give them the BEST possible chance to get the highest possible mark in their external exams by teaching them in such a way they may actually enjoy science and not be talked down to.

Every now and then there's an arrogant kid who might need to be put in their place and talked down to - but so far, that has never happened at a school I've taught at - only on the internet :)

smarta**

btw get a dog is short for "get a dog up ya" which is actually an insult
look it up on urban dictionary.

If you werent a gaggillion miles away I would join you waruikazi. As I said in the other thread cwebb that saying comes from shakespear times and is based on the hair of the dog. It is not an insult.

Doesn't sound that insulting to me... I enjoy a drink.

Will you have a carbon compound such as ethanol? At least some percentage of that ethanol will be C-14 which would have been at one stage N but got smashed up with cosmic (or comic) rays and turned to C-14 then fell to earth to be consumed by some yeast which then converted some sugar to alcohol (this is one possible, but not the only scenario that could have happened - and above all it's the least pompous and most fun way to think about alcohol without sounding like a complete twa...... You know....).

Will you have a carbon compound such as ethanol? At least some percentage of that ethanol will be C-14 which would have been at one stage N but got smashed up with cosmic (or comic) rays and turned to C-14 then fell to earth to be consumed by some yeast which then converted some sugar to alcohol (this is one possible, but not the only scenario that could have happened - and above all it's the least pompous and most fun way to think about alcohol without sounding like a complete twa...... You know....).

I was gonna make a wise funny about hydro carbons and beer. But Yr 12 chem was such a long long time ago and i didn't want to put the wrong charge on the OH or write the wrong C2H5OH+Gordon=a hot dancer...

no dont piri is named after a certain allblack

I'd say you'd get chucked out of the pub you were dancing in.... But at least you didn't kill a spider or any duck billed platypodes....

no dont piri is named after a certain allblack

He most certainly is not!

Piri is named after the chilli. Hence his full name is Chilli Piri Piri Patches Stinkpooh Davis.... But I never call him by his full name unless he's been extremely naughty.

Though - the Maori translation of Piri loosely suggests it's 'adhere' or 'determined' which fits his bill (and mine). So, other than similarities of the name, he is merely a very hot chilli!

Though - the Maori translation of Piri loosely suggests it's 'adhere' or 'determined' which fits his bill (and mine). So, other than similarities of the name, he is merely a very hot chilli!

And all the platypodes' or the platypuse's bill. (See what i did there?)

But i did kill some duck-billed ducks, aka whistle ducks. They were delicious too.

Hence increasing your carbon....

Saving spiders....

Leaving dogs at the door of the pub....

And allowing monotremes of all shapes and sizes, including the platypodes, to survive happily in an unhindered world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back