****** Where on earth is APS? *****

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As previously advised, the site is being moved to a new server, which will hopefully give us better performanace.

For those of you that can read this, it means that your ISP's DNS servers have found the new IP address of APS.

Unfortunately, as SJ advised elsewhere, the hosting company that hosts our site moved the site to a new server sooner than anticipated. Slateman_Junior jumped right on it and has been working tirelessly to get everything working again. As the new IP address propogates to the rest of the DNS servers in the world, everyone will gradually come back on board.

There may be short disruptions to the service over the next day or two as the system is bedded down in its new home.

We apologise for the disruption, but it was really beyond our control.

Thanks David & Slateman_Junior for all your hard work.

Everything seems to be working sweetly now. 8)

We apologise for the disruption, but it was really beyond our control.
As John Malkovich said in 'Dangerous Liaisons'...
"it's beyond my control" :lol:

Fortunately our tech support guys are pretty damn good. 24x7 support is handy when it's 3am in the US :D

will the site speed up at all? (seems to be running a bit slow atm :( )

Looks like some people donated allready. Thanks and soon as we get amount needed for dedicated server, we will use the money for it.
We are getting at the moment from sponsors about $190 more then needed to pay for existing server, so for dedicated server we need to collect about $ 800 in donations yearly extra . All is up to you guys now.

Is there any word on when the problems will be rectified ? It seems to take between 2 and 4 minutes to open a thread and I am on broadband. Gabe can't get on at all.

yeaha same here boa its taken me a long time also to open threads

boa said:
Is there any word on when the problems will be rectified ? It seems to take between 2 and 4 minutes to open a thread and I am on broadband. Gabe can't get on at all.

My understanding of the situation is that the site will only get quicker when we can afford a dedicated server. An additional $800 per year is what it will cost. I could be wrong though as I dont understand computer stuff.

how does it cost 800 a year to host a server? i do hosting... and it doesnt cost anywhere near that amount.. even for the preformance you are after

I'm assuming you don't host on Australian bandwidth. APS uses over 40GB of bandwidth every month and is a php driven website that consistently tops 50 concurrent users. Hosting APS on a shared server pisses of just about every web host and the cost of servers/bandwidth in Australia isn't cheap.

On that note, if you think you can do a better deal, let us know. As David has posted in another thread we are after a new host.

Further to that, we have hosted this site on a few different hosting services to date and the problem of speed is related to the data transfer rate and the network speed between here and the USA. An Australian site should be much faster.

I too host a web site on an American server and it is quite fast. But, as Adam pointed out, I'm not running a full Postnuke site with 50+ users chewing up heaps of bandwidth and CPU time. I KNOW that if I started using resources like that the hosting company wouldn't be impressed! That's why we had our account suspended recently! We were operating on a shared server with other people and our high CPU usage badly affected others on the shared server. This is the reason we would like to move to a dedicated server here in Australia.

If we don't raise enough money to do so, we'll just have to continue on the US site. However, speaking personally, I don't mind either way. It's worth the sometimes slow response time, IMHO! ;-)

Thanks guys for all your hard work.....I can now get APS at work....whereas haven't been able to get it at work for months!!

The only problem I've had here was for about 5 mins early one morning, (besides at home where we have 5 computers networked on 1 dial-up connection making it very slow, so thats not your problem). But hey, if you can make it faster for me then great! Keep up the good work! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back