Which bird would be good for me?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow-Serpent

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday everyone,

I'm looking at getting a new bird, but I'm not quite sure which species is right for me..

We currently have 5 birds, 4 lovebirds and 1 disabled budgie, which I reckon we take pretty good care of. Always loved Macaws but don't have $7500 to spend on one at the moment.
We know a place where we can get big cages cheap, so caging shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Our disabled budgie has given us some experiance with disabled birds, so when I do get a bird, might look at a disabled one, because ours only has one leg, so he's not like a bird anymore, more like a little dog.

I'm not the kind of person who tires of their pets quickly, I'd prefer something which I could teach not to rip my brains out :lol:

So which type would be right for me and what is the average price?

Hi chick

dont go out and buy another bird with a retardation . its sometimes heartbreaking when one does not work out and you have an animal die earlier than it should

you should keep the standards that you would when choosing a reptile nice clean living quarters no physically abnormalities and nice and alert

i thinka conure of some discription would be great for a small bird choice but for something a bit larger a red tailed black or galah are excellant choices as long as you get them young

in some states you can only get these birds around february as by law they ahve to be held back from sale till then

good luck with it and take your time to do some research

a quaker they learn to talk and love cuddling, they're really smart birds :) you can teach them heaps of stuff. i have one and when i say kiss kiss he kisses me and then says it. he laughs and coughs when we do and he says a bunch of stuff. you can get green ones for pretty cheap starting at 50 depending where you buy, blues which is what i have are more expensive but you can pick them up 200+ depending where you look. just gotta shop around. conures are cute too but can be really noisy..

oh and if you get a quaker get one that you can hand raise because they'll bond with you and its so adorable.. i got mine when he was 1 month old. good age if you know what you're doing :)

and make sure it is form UK bloodlines larger more responsive bird

me i'd go the conures as they are great to have out and play they love the company. i would love another one he attacked the phone when you were on it cause you were not giving him the attention lol.
they can be a little noisy teach it right and you have a very loyal pet. mine would go to sleep on the bed with me but if i ws awake so was he.
good luck in deciding

Get a green cheeked conure. Our Archie is such an awesome bird. Never had a pet become part of the family so fast!!

cockatiels are pretty smart. Can teach them lots, used to have one , make good pets.

Hi chick

dont go out and buy another bird with a retardation . its sometimes heartbreaking when one does not work out and you have an animal die earlier than it should

you should keep the standards that you would when choosing a reptile nice clean living quarters no physically abnormalities and nice and alert

i thinka conure of some discription would be great for a small bird choice but for something a bit larger a red tailed black or galah are excellant choices as long as you get them young

in some states you can only get these birds around february as by law they ahve to be held back from sale till then

good luck with it and take your time to do some research[/QUO

segesting a red tail black isent very smart

why so ? i have had one for about 12 years which would have made me 12 when i got it
they require no more care than some of the other cockatoo species

why so ? i have had one for about 12 years which would have made me 12 when i got it
they require no more care than some of the other cockatoo species

price mate

and i have kept these birds if u r saying thay reqiure no more care then other cocatoos ur bird must b unhealty

mate suggesting my bird is unhealthy is insulting mate , just another example of new APS members with chips on there shoulders , do you think it would have lived for twelve years if i didnt know what i was doing

RS has been known to receive money from her parents for rather expensive items and i have every faith in the fact that she can take care of anything wiht the help of her father

and yes they do require the same level of care as other cockatoo's as i have a galah two red tailed blacks and a sulphur crested all of which have had no issues , all requiring similar or same diets and same attention requirements

RS do soem research on what you can comfortably afford and take care of and remember when buying parrots they are sometimes very long lived , although i have no doubt you will provide the right level of care for any animal you decide to adopt into your zoo

green cheek conures are a really good bird. if your thinking about the green cheek look at the cinnamon mutation, their a better looking bird than the standard green. but if i was you id buy a male eclectus. just love the green of them and the blue under their wings. plus they are so smart

wait for it wranga youll get stuart and connie decide to burn you over suggesting a bird that is not a so called beginners bird

green cheek conures are a really good bird. if your thinking about the green cheek look at the cinnamon mutation, their a better looking bird than the standard green. but if i was you id buy a male eclectus. just love the green of them and the blue under their wings. plus they are so smart

great idea maybe even buy a cinimon and a split

hand raising birds opens a whole new world learning about nutision

Oooh, so many fantastic looking birds! :D
Given up on a bird for the next 8 months, found something that just couldn't wait, but I'm still doing as much bird research as I can until then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back