which Ctenophorus to buy???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Can people pleeeeeaaaaase give me some info and advice on Ctenophorus species
i want to buy a Ctenophorus sp. sometime in the future, but am really struggling to find care sheets and general info etc. for them except central netteds. i've heard that painted (C. pictus) dragons stress really easy and that red-barred (C. vadnappa) dragons require large enclosures, is this true????

any info and advice would be really great.
Darren

Ctenophorus sp. dont have the longest life span. Many of the species are kept but not in high numbers and the only species that commonly comes up for sale is central netteds.

Ctenophorus sp. dont have the longest life span. Many of the species are kept but not in high numbers and the only species that commonly comes up for sale is central netteds.

Thanks Grimbeny
if i get anything over about 6 years i'd be happy i reckon, i'd like to get something other than central netteds but would get them if its my only realistic option.

If you do an advanced search, for ctenophorus in the forsale section you can see some have been available over the last year and possibly some still are.

I'm happy to wait for about a year 2 get some as i want to gradually build up their enclosure etc, so time isn't a problem for me.
It's mainly finding out their care requirments that i'm having the most trouble with.
I've noticed most of the species i've looked at have been available for sale on the net at some stage.

I don't want to rush in and buy a dragon that i think is really cool and beautiful only to find out that i dont have the ability to look after it properly thats all.

I have kept C.cristatus, they seem to need a much larger, well heated enclosure than you would think from their size, well worthy of their class 2 status in NSW, not the easiest of lizards to care for all the time. That genus isn't the best one to choose from for your first Agamid.

Hi Darren86, I have been keeping dragons for over 30 years IFor the last 15 years I have not kept anything else but dragons. I currently have 9 species from the Ctenophorus group in my collection and have kept a further 3 species (not included in the 9) that I no longer have. As has already been said they are not long lived animals. Most will survive between 3 to 5 years with some exceptional instances of 7 or 8 eight year life spans being achieved for animals in optimum captive conditions. Even the smaller species such as pictus, isolepis, fordi that are considered to be annuals in the wild wil survive 3-4 years in the right captive environment.

Most Ctenophorus species (23 currently recognised) are either rock dragons or sand dragons. That is they come from those types of environments and therefore do best in captive conditions that simulate their home environment. They generally require hot and dry conditions, but care needs to be taken not to overheat them as they can quite easily succumb to excessive heat.

I would agree that one of the more difficult species to keep is cristatus, cage size being one of many special requirements for these guys. Even though they are apectacular looking animals they are very demanding of your husbandry skills. Expect to loose a few before you get keeping this species right.

If you are relatively new to keeping dragons may I suggest that there are several species in other genera that are far easier to keep that can and will give great satisfaction because husbandry requirements are not as demanding and you will have success at breeding fairly quickly. Species include Amphibolurus muricatus,and Amphibolurus burnsii. Some of the smaller bearded dragon species are also worth a look at too, such as P. minor and P. henrylawsoni.

If you are really keen on Ctenophorus species then nuchalis is a good one but you need to make sure they are fed constantly particularly as youngsters as they have the same tendancy as bearded dragons in that they may chew at each other's toes and tails. Best to keep them seperately until sub adult stage if possible. Also ensures you don't get one or two that gets left behind in the feeding process and end up as runts.

You will need to consider husbandry issues such as cage sizes substrates, hides lighting requirements, how much UVA and UVB, heating diet, calcium and vitamin supplements if you choose to use these, some people don't

There will be many people who will advise you that Tawny dragons are easy to keep or Ring Tailed dragons are easy to keep or Painted dragons are easy to keep. It is my experience that once you know how, everything is easy to keep. It is the process of learning how that causes the problems. As I said earlier I have been keeping dragons for over 30 years and only dragons for the last 15 years and I learn new things about my animals every day.

Good luck with your choice.

what longirostris said is spot on. I have tawny dragons and they are great. One question for longirostris, any idea where i can get ring tailed dragons? Seeing you have 9 sp i take it you keep them?

Thanks a lot longirostris, JasonL and Hornet for your comments, great info. I probly should have mentioned I have 2 bearded dragons (vitticeps) so not completely new, but still very inexperienced as a whole.

The reason I was considering Ctenophorus sp. was because they are small and I was planning on using a 3 foot tank I already have. If I do go with the Ctenophorus I'll definately start with the nuchalis so I can get a bit of experience with them before going on to others.

Thanks heaps again, its great to have gotten so much help.

Cheers, Darren

Hornet,

i actually do keep Ring Tailed dragons and with a bit of luck I hope to have them breeding next season so may have some available then,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back