Which is the largest reptile on Earth?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about this one :p

Attachments

• 041605gator.jpg
    041605gator.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 62
I think I may have found a contender :D. pity there isnt a pic of him stretching out :p.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 49
If your refering to the pics I placed in this thread...do a google search "new orleans croc". unfortunatly he was strolling around the flooded city. DUMB yanks and building such a dumb city :p.

The pictures are real, but the caption is false. These photos were not taken in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. They were taken in 2003 and document the capture of a 16-foot crocodile in Pointe-Noire, Republic of the Congo. The incident was covered in the July 17, 2003 edition of La Semaine Africaine. (See article linked below.)

After looking for new orleans croc, with those pics.

thanks for the info gillsy. I must have been misinformed. I made that exact serach after seeing this thread. Only cos its sparked my memory of a newspaper article i read (with the same pics) about a croc involved in the New Orleans tragedy.

I didnt read a single word on the site I got this meanie from. But still thatsw a huge croc imagine having him in your backyard. youd be broke trying to feed him (well I would) lol.

the nile is supposed to be the largest of them all. and as for Eric??? well sorry to say but he definately isn't the biggest in Australia

I didnt read a single word on the site I got this meanie from. But still thatsw a huge croc imagine having him in your backyard. youd be broke trying to feed him (well I would) lol.

It would be ok if you lived next door to the local water buffalo farm, or maybe a dairy farm of some sort...

Ever seen the movie Lake Placid???

Talking of which... I live next to a lake called Lake Placid... and Ironically, a few years ago a drunken man was down at the waters edge and got nabbed by a croc... Apparently he escaped... Somehow the story is hard to believe, but as i wasn't there, and as it was in the papers, it has to be true!

That croc of croc in New Orleans is impressive... But obviously the location wrong and yanks trying to claim it... But... WOW! Why was it killed? Very sad that just because it's a lethal killing machine that it has to be killed by humans to show superiority...

I'm enjoying this thread... But still no one seems to follow the leatherback turtle as the worlds largest reptile... maybe I go google that now! Be back soon....

Well this is what I found...
The Leatherback Sea Turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) is the biggest of all living turtles, reaching a length of over 2.7 m (8.8 ft) and weight of 900 kg (2,000 lb), and is world's 4th largest reptile, behind the larger crocodiles.

Leatherback Quick Facts
Reprinted from Florida's Sea Turtles, Copyright 1992, courtesy the Florida Power & Light Company.

The leatherback is the largest of the sea turtles; it travels the farthest, dives the deepest and ventures into the coldest water.

Named for smooth, rubbery shell
Feeds on jellyfish
About 50 nests a year reported in Florida, estimates of 70,000 to 115,000 breeding females worldwide
A huge turtle: adults weigh 700 to 2,000 pounds and measure 4 to 8 feet in length
Hatchlings: 2-1/2 inches long
Nest in Florida from April through July
Many leatherback turtles die from ingesting plastic debris mistaken for jellyfish

There are a few things I can imagine.... One... how much soup would one make??? And two... We need them up and down the coast of TNQ to eat the box jellies.... The former isn't a real question becuase I don't eat soup...

castellano is that for real, there are crocs today that can get that big?

well lets put it in the words of the king of reptiles steve erwin, "the apex predator, the salt water croc, the world largest reptile"

or better than hitting a beautiful creature like that in a boat, seeing it swimming freely past you...? wouldnt that be a lot nicer?

that's just plain awful thing to say slim6y... i am allergic to seafood... I'd get sick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back