Who am I?.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hi guys,
I received an email from a friend from Blackwater in Central QLD with this discription, trying to id a snake. It was seen during the day.

It was about 1.5m long and the thickest part of it's body was about the size of a 20c/50c piece, and it was black with a yellow/cream belly. But it had quite a small head for the length and thickness of it's body - when I saw it stick its head out I thought it would be tiny but was a bit freaked when I saw the size of it's body. Any ideas on what it coud be?? :)

Im thinking a black phase eastern brown?...

Appretiate any imput.

Thanks in advance
Dee

only thing i can think of is common tree snake

I would say from the thickness given that a Green Tree was unlikely and if the estimate of length at 1.5 m was accurate then that definitely rules out a tree snake. It does sound very much like a black phase Eastern Brown.

There are not many snakes of that description in that area that get to 1.5 m. A Black Whip Snake is another possibility but once again not really thick enough and I am not sure they are that dark around that area. I’d rule out a Small-eyed Snake on the basis of length and ventral colour.

Blue

I would say from the thickness given that a Green Tree was unlikely and if the estimate of length at 1.5 m was accurate then that definitely rules out a tree snake.

1.5M does NOT rule out Green Tree Snake, whilst typical adult length is around 1.2M, specimens of nearly 2M have been recorded. Given that most people overestimate length I'd say GTS is the most likely from that description.

Hi guys,
I received an email from a friend from Blackwater in Central QLD with this discription, trying to id a snake. It was seen during the day.

It was about 1.5m long and the thickest part of it's body was about the size of a 20c/50c piece, and it was black with a yellow/cream belly. But it had quite a small head for the length and thickness of it's body - when I saw it stick its head out I thought it would be tiny but was a bit freaked when I saw the size of it's body. Any ideas on what it coud be?? :)

Im thinking a black phase eastern brown?...im assuming the snake was in a soil crevice.....being out so not far from emerald it would be very possible .....
should go up and have a look.......8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back