Who Keeps Dwarf Gouramis?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notechistiger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I've had had a male coral/powder blue dwarf gourami for a while now. He is kept in a 20L planted tank with filter and heater, and as per instructions from a breeder, I was told to purchase a female.

As per the two opinions of aquarium owners and a book's details, we have determined that the fish I bought was indeed a female. However, should I be expecting fin nipping? The female is basically a smaller version of him, with a rounded dorsal fin and much less orange (even though they don't have much orange anyway). The male's dorsal fin is also ever so slightly rounded (but he has a lot of orange), so I presume it may be possible that I have two females. Is this pairing fine also, if that be the case?

The tank is currently 26C, no ammonia, pH is fine. The female is approximately two thirds the male's size. She has some hides to retreat from him, but I will be providing more as soon as possible. Thus far, he has "stalked" her and nipped at her until she swims away (and follows too), but he will also sit near her and ignore her.

I have kept bettas for many years, so gouramis are a new experience :)

gouramis are the same principle , they are labrinth fish , put a divider in condition the animals wait until the male goes black on his base and then introduce them

i would be pumping your temp up to 30 though and giving thema cool water change when they are in breeding mode

put a poly styrene cup cut in half just under the water level and bobs your uncle , BTW have fun raising the young

I wasn't intending to breed them at all :) The breeder informed me (he breeds gouramis) that a female often "relaxes" a male. That is, he ceases to stop hiding, being flighty, etc. when something very little disturbs them, such as a person walking past the tank.

yer there might be some fin nipping i used to keep them and mine fin nipped a bit but then they stopped

Would you happen to know what they stopped, richoman? I assume they are simply establishing territories at the moment.

I have found the to be similar to betta splendens, their is a bit of fin-nipping, but it will eventually stop, but provide plenty of hiding spots in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back