Who keeps native mammals??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So. My girlfriend and I are planning to get into sugar gliders when we move house again, hopefully in the next couple of months. Is December-February a good time to be looking for gliders?

How social are they? I know they are social animals... Will two gliders of the same sex be enough? If so - which sex, if relevant, tend to be calmer and more amenable to handling?

In terms of enclosure - free-range inside the house isn't an option since we also have a dog. What are their space requirements, allowing for 30-60 minutes a day outside the enclosure? Also... I'm thinking of a suspended aviary type set-up that would allow for ease of cleaning and drainage (just a slightly sloped floor). Workable, or is vertical height too important for that?

Cage furnishings - will they destroy branches rigged up for them to climb on?

Feeding - how much, how often? Can they be fed once a day, or do they need multiple feeding sessions? Any foods that are known to be toxic?

Finally - price and availability. How much should I be willing to pay, and how easy are they going to be to find over summer? I'd probably want young (less than six month old) siblings, ideally, to avoid compatibility issues.

CGSwans, I just PM'ed you with some answers.
So. My girlfriend and I are planning to get into sugar gliders when we move house again, hopefully in the next couple of months. Is December-February a good time to be looking for gliders?

How social are they? I know they are social animals... Will two gliders of the same sex be enough? If so - which sex, if relevant, tend to be calmer and more amenable to handling?

In terms of enclosure - free-range inside the house isn't an option since we also have a dog. What are their space requirements, allowing for 30-60 minutes a day outside the enclosure? Also... I'm thinking of a suspended aviary type set-up that would allow for ease of cleaning and drainage (just a slightly sloped floor). Workable, or is vertical height too important for that?

Cage furnishings - will they destroy branches rigged up for them to climb on?

Feeding - how much, how often? Can they be fed once a day, or do they need multiple feeding sessions? Any foods that are known to be toxic?

Finally - price and availability. How much should I be willing to pay, and how easy are they going to be to find over summer? I'd probably want young (less than six month old) siblings, ideally, to avoid compatibility issues.

One of my sugar gliders pairs just had a baby come out of pouch. It has been detached from the nipple, but wasn't when I was taking the pics!
Joeys037.jpg
Joeys017.jpg
It's a boy!
Joeys030.jpg

Hi i'm looking to keep spinifex hopping mice can you help?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this website and looking for some advise from some of you.
I am looking to keep spinifex hopping mice as pets/or plains rats. I currently live in Nsw but am moving to Vic. I have looked into getting a licence and that seems simple enough and am currently doing research on my pc to find out info. Would like to know if the laws to keeping them as pets are different in Vic to nsw, am i right that you can only keep 2 hopping mice as pets in Nsw? I could be wrong! Also where can i find breeders that sell them? are there many about? if im moving interstate, would they travel well or is it best to wait til i have moved til i get them?
I would apreciate any help and advise,
Many thanks :D

Hi everyone,
I am new to this website and looking for some advise from some of you.
I am looking to keep spinifex hopping mice as pets/or plains rats. I currently live in Nsw but am moving to Vic. I have looked into getting a licence and that seems simple enough and am currently doing research on my pc to find out info. Would like to know if the laws to keeping them as pets are different in Vic to nsw, am i right that you can only keep 2 hopping mice as pets in Nsw? I could be wrong! Also where can i find breeders that sell them? are there many about? if im moving interstate, would they travel well or is it best to wait til i have moved til i get them?
I would apreciate any help and advise,
Many thanks :D
Sorry I can't help you too much. Spinifex hopping mice and Plains rats are on the advanced license down here, they only recently got added to our lists at the start of October. Your questions sounds like they might be better answered on the marsupial society forum. But IMO you are best to wait till you get down here, then get a mammal from the Vic lists.

On the basic license ($51.40 a year) down here we have:
Common Brushtail Possum
Common Ringtail Possum
Common Wombat
Fat-tailed Dunnart
Kowari
Mitchell's Hopping-mouse
Red-legged Pademelon
Red-necked Pademelon
Red-necked Wallaby
Rufous Bettong
Sugar Glider
Swamp Wallaby
Tammar Wallaby
Tasmanian Bettong
Tasmanian Pademelon

Then on the advanced ($140.20 a year) list there is:
Black-striped Wallaby
Brush-tailed Bettong
Common Wallaroo (Euro)
Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Feathertail Glider
Kangaroo Island Kangaroo
Long-nosed Potoroo
Plains Rat
Quokka
Red Kangaroo
Southern Brown Bandicoot
Spinifex Hopping-mouse
Squirrel Glider
Western Grey Kangaroo

Good luck! :D

does anyone know of anybody keeping feather-tailed gliders or are they not allowed to be kept?

does anyone know of anybody keeping feather-tailed gliders or are they not allowed to be kept?
I put em on the list because they are now allowed to be kept in Victoria under the advanced license. But no, I don't know any private owners of them. There are some Zoos and wildlife parks that have them.

Cheers i would like to get some i really like them.

Hi all does anyone know where i can get a common wombat from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back