Who keeps native mammals?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point re non endemics. Perhaps some species are just like weeds (eg; Burmese Pythons in Florida, BTS on Guam). Is there any definitive evidence though that native mammals cope well after being raised from a young age (like trans studies for example). Some studies on translocated elapids (even thoughs moved the specified distances as required by law) don't seem to paint a rosy picture for the relocated.

I don't know. The people i know that do the work with raising and releasing the macropods on the central coast have really good places for release, where they can monitor the acceptance of the individuals into the local groups and have good results with it. The raised ones come back from time to time because they aren't afraid and they can associate the release site with a free feed, but the females come back with joeys and say hello and are more then happy to go back out into the bush and be with the mob.
It's really the acceptance into a local mob that probably determines if it will work or not, and thats just for macro's, not possum's or other smaller types. But I don't know if there has been a scientific study done on it, I only have info word of mouth from the people that do it.

Not any of the specific species mentioned but I do have this new little buddy:

yverujy3.jpg

Billy the sugar glider :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back