Why do people keep dangerous reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer to all those questions apart from Football and maybe scuba diving (depending on the type of diving it is), is they do it for the adrenaline rush.

If people keep venomous snakes for the adrenaline rush, they're doing it wrong.

I think you make a very good point.I am sure some people keep venomous snakes and dangerous animals for all the right reasons but what really gets my goat is people who keep them and think its macho. I am talking about the same kind of person who struts down the street with his Rottweiler and thinks its clever when it shows aggression. Its people like this that give snake keeping a bad name. I once heard someone who kept venomous snakes snakes say he liked them over non venomous because they kept him on his toes, I despair at some people.

Endeavour

keeping and handling venomous snakes sounds dangerous in theory,the way people sensationalize the capabilities of venom,especially the media. But in practical,if you compare it to many pastimes that people routinely engage in,its really no where near the danger level of things people wouldn't take a second thought about doing.
Do you smoke? are you fat? there the two most dangerous things cause there is certainty they will catch up with you and end your life.

So you are in real trouble then if your a fat bloke who smokes and keeps venomous snakes.

Endeavour

Last edited:
The door knockers love them...

Jehovas
Mormons
Telstra
Optus
Vodafone
Girl scouts
Boy scouts
Fundraisers
Old ladies
Local junkies
Etc....

They all get a kick when I answer the door with them

Ive had the Mormons help me clean enclosures. Tooks some pics and left converts.
Some people just need someone to show them the path.

The initial reasons for getting into vens can be many and varied. The adrenalin rush, the challenge, the natural progression, obsession with particular animals etc. However, once the novelty wears off, you don’t continue to keep vens unless you personally find them exciting and beautiful animals. They are certainly more work to take care of then non-venomous snakes.

Anyone who says they keep them to put the wind up people is lying through their teeth. To use a ven to scare someone is dangerous and anybody with that attitude is going to be bitten by their own snakes. A 3m python on the other hand is extremely effective in putting the uninitiated off in a hurry!

Blue

A mate kept alot of venomous snakes, the more visits I made the more I liked them. Took around 5years of keeping non-venomous before I made the change to venomous. Still keep some non-venomous & apart from a couple of cranky adders & tigers my scrubby is the 1 I have the most respect for.

The door knockers love them...

Jehovas
Mormons
Telstra
Optus
Vodafone
Girl scouts
Boy scouts
Fundraisers
Old ladies
Local junkies
Etc....