Why Does She Do This?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

We've only had our 2 female Beardies since the weekend so excuse the dumb questions.

Why do they occasionally climb up onto the mesh cage surrounding the heating globe (surely it's not for extra heat, just below on their basking area it's low 40's)?

Why also do they open their mouths (like she has in the photo)?

My beardies try eat red lights its so cute there little mouths open so much trying to eat all the red maybe she thinks its pretty and wants to eat it

I think its just climbing and play.
My Beardie did that all the time when she was still a baby.
Sometimes was for extra heat, sometimes just to climb I think.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as your temps are right, they should be ok

Cheers
Kev :)

I think its just climbing and play.
My Beardie did that all the time when she was still a baby.
Sometimes was for extra heat, sometimes just to climb I think.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as your temps are right, they should be ok

Cheers
Kev :)

Kev to the rescue again :lol: thanks for your help mate!! It just looked a bit peculiar, especially with the mouth wide open.

My Darwin use to do it when she was smaller. I will see if I can find a pic.

when their mouth is open it means that they are regulating their heat. This is normal when they are warm. If you are concerned about it getting onto the cage then lower the basking area below the light so it cannot climb onto the cage. Basking temp for baby dragon should be 45 degrees c

when their mouth is open it means that they are regulating their heat. This is normal when they are warm. If you are concerned about it getting onto the cage then lower the basking area below the light so it cannot climb onto the cage. Basking temp for baby dragon should be 45 degrees c

That all makes sense, thank you. We're confident that the temps are correct, just a bit puzzled by the odd behavior :)

It may seem odd, but I reckon it's quite common throughout the species. I've got a pic of my bd doing it when she was young.
Come to think of it, I think its common in our species too? I remember playing on the monkey bars :D

Kev to the rescue again :lol: thanks for your help mate!! It just looked a bit peculiar, especially with the mouth wide open.

I can't take all the credit. I am just a young padawan. LizardLady is the real Jedi Master who taught me my skills :)

Last edited:
gaping is perfectly normal, just like a dog panting in summer,...

mine used to climb their light cages as kids too,..freaked me out forl a while, but i never got home to crispy fried beardy. :p

mine used to climb their light cages as kids too,..freaked me out forl a while, but i never got home to crispy fried beardy. :p

They seem to be able to hop off the cage as easily as they climb up it so I'm not too concerned about their physical well-being... just their mental state :lol:

lols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back