Why is live feeding of rats and mice banned in australia?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal_Lover1

Reaction score
I did a course at tafe last year, and the reasons they gave was the snakes could be injuried by the live rat or mouse, and the snakes cause pain, stress to the living mice and rats-which is against the code of practise for animal welfare. They had to be killed humanely or frozen prior to feeding.

However they said that insects don't technically feel pain so therefore could be fed live.

So, you answered your own question there, it is cruel and inhumane as well as dangerous to the animal being fed. But you say
'killed humanely OR frozen"? freezing a live animal is in no way humane and anyone doing such should be put naked into a freezer imo. Gassing or cervical dislocation are the only humane way to kill/cull a rodent for food.

I think I can see your reasoning there, in that if it's inhumane to feed rodents live then why is it okay to feed insects live. You could answer than question in this way; do you/have you ever squashed an insect or a spider without a twinge of remorse? If so than there's really no basis, as you'd be asking an ethical question of people who allow insects to be consumed by their natural predators for a good reason without actually following your own ethical guidelines yourself.

Its because rats etc are mammals
Mammals are much higher up the evolutionary scale than insects
Thats why they have been around so long

OOPS
Thats right
Insects and reptiles havent needed to evolve more because they are nearly perfectly designed

How little we really know

There is no answer to your question
It is simply an arbitrary ruling made by a politician

With a name like animal_lover it seems like a odd question why can't you live feed. One is human the other is slow and painful way to die. As an animal lover I think you would pick the first option.

When live feeding in captivity the animal being feed can sense where it is and in nearly all cases can see the snake approaching therefore it is put under under stress where as in the wild the animal is nearly always taken by ambush and therefore not expecting the attack, when being ambushed the animal most likely wouldn't get a chance to defend itself which if it did it could cause harm to your snake.
Besides you don't see too many people live feed animals to domesticated dogs, could you imagine the uproar.

I did a course at tafe last year, and the reasons they gave was the snakes could be injuried by the live rat or mouse

a friend showed me this pic of a ball python that got attacked by the rat it was live fed
ball_python_live_prey_1.jpg
(i don't own this pic, but it is a good illustration)

^ ahhh the worst part of that has to be how long the animal was clearly left unattended with the food as well :\

As you and others have stated it is cruel and inhumane also feeding live mice/rats mainly adults can be dangerous feeding reptiles in captivity because they are in codined spaces if they miss there first strike the rodent could turn bite or scrath our reptiles and make a big mess or worse

There is also another reason - many insect eaters are only stimulated by live, moving prey - many dragons & geckos will not eat static food. It's proven beyond doubt by dozens of generations of captive-bred snakes, monitors and anything else that uses thier sense of smell to locate food that you don't need to feed live prey to these animals.

There is a significant risk to your rodent-eating snake if you feed it live rodents with long sharp teeth. Insectivorous frogs and lizards will not be subjected to the same risks if fed the live food they need.

Jamie

Invertebrate nervous systems are not like vertebrate nervous systems. It could be claimed that they don't feel pain. Still plenty of fish sold as feeder fish though so lets just admit really it is because they are cute and cuddly and people have feelings for them.

Attachments

• brokensnake[1].jpg
    brokensnake[1].jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,881
When live feeding in captivity the animal being feed can sense where it is and in nearly all cases can see the snake approaching therefore it is put under under stress where as in the wild the animal is nearly always taken by ambush and therefore not expecting the attack, when being ambushed the animal most likely wouldn't get a chance to defend itself which if it did it could cause harm to your snake.
Besides you don't see too many people live feed animals to domesticated dogs, could you imagine the uproar.
Animals in the wild are ALWAYS aware they are potential prey , that is why they evolve hiding and camouflage abilities . Usually one or more will be on lookout duty .

this discussion comes up frequently, but i have never actually seen a document that specifically states feeding rodents whilst they are alive is actually illegal. can someone please post such a document or link to one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back