why wont my thick tailed gecko be quiet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandfireackie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I know another name for a thick tailed gecko is a barking gecko but my thick tailed gecko doesn't stop barking does anybody know why he does that

Because he is stressed.
Always think before getting a lizard.
Geckos may seem cheap and cheerful but in reality they prefer to be quiet and left alone. They live in the dark.

I don't hold him that much only about 2 times a week and I get him up to feed him he is in a dark spot in my room his cage is about 34cm in length 20cm in width and 27cm tall he has red sand a 12cm large grey water bowl and he has a log in his cage that is about 15cm long it has three entrances he eats from 4 too 6 crickets a day at about 8pm I spray his cage every 3 days

As Nick elaborated to... They usually bark when they are stressed/feel threatened.
Most Geckos rarely like to be handled. I would avoid it until you absolutely have to (cleaning and general enclosure maintenance for example.)

I wouldn't worry about heating for these guys. They have been known to feed on cold nights as low as 8c. I never heated my lot and they ate/shed/etc, fine. Only thing I would remember is to create a wet/humid side and a dry side. Mist the enclosure once or twice a day.

try adding a few more hides on hot end, cold end and in the middle.

As Nick elaborated to... They usually bark when they are stressed/feel threatened.
Most Geckos rarely like to be handled. I would avoid it until you absolutely have to (cleaning and general enclosure maintenance for example.)

I wouldn't worry about heating for these guys. They have been known to feed on cold nights as low as 8c. I never heated my lot and they ate/shed/etc, fine. Only thing I would remember is to create a wet/humid side and a dry side. Mist the enclosure once or twice a day.

Wouldn't be misting more then once a week unless it is over 26c, they just don't need it.

Rick

Geckos should be handled only when necessary.

Mine are never handled unless absolutely necessary and defiantly not ever for my enjoyment.

If all of your animals needs where met and you where not handling to much it wouldn't bark.

Wouldn't be misting more then once a week unless it is over 26c, they just don't need it.Rick

To be honest it may of not been that frequent... And I can understand where you are coming from.
Was a fair while ago that I had them. Details may be out a bit. It was in the warmer months, I remember that much. As long as they had a damp side and a dry side I was happy.

his warm side is about 25 Celsius and the cold side is about 16 Celsius

Its not how hot he is:facepalm:
Obviously something is scaring him, he will only bark when scared or stressed.

Last edited:
Its not how hot he is:facepalm:
Obviously something is scaring him, he will only bark when scared or stressed.
Let him be and all will be fine.

Yep. Ive only had little hatchies bark at me if ive spooked them.

Rick

ummmm.... are your sure he eats all the crickets offered ?

4-6 crickets everday is a lot for one little gecko...IMO

Check his hide to see if there are loose crickets in there annoying him.....crickets have been know to chomp on small reptiles

Cheers
Sandee :)

One of my geckos bit me the other day when i took its hide out lol i think it might be the crickets.

when I go to go feed him the next day all the crickets are gone

What size crickets are you feeding? If they are small he probably does eat 5-6 but normally it's around 2-4 every 2 days for mine, during winter they eat a lot less.

Rick

I give him the small crickets because he is a baby he has also been shedding about 2 time every 2 months I think he is still quite young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back