Wild caught specimens.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_STATS

I fully understand the laws regarding wild caught specimens in my state. It is forbidden. I also understand and agree with why. However there are people on these forums and elsewhere that freely admit to taking wild specimens. And some seem to be simply random breeders desiring their own line etc. not important members of any zoological program or anything else. How is this legally and responsibly accomplished?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who says they take from the wild please explain, wild caught under permit is allowed in some states ...? i have wild caught animals that were legally obtained under permit and so do others from WA

in Tasmania it is illegal to sell or purchase reptiles and amphibians, therefore they need to be wild caught or "freely traded"...

Taken straight from the wild... The poor little guy.

20130614_194637_zpsa2bf3e05.jpg

yes you can, however, the only legal way to is to catch from the wild or have them donated to you. We dont have any pythons or such in Tasmania so we are restricted to our native species (skinks, 3 elapids and a dragon species)

yes you can, however, the only legal way to is to catch from the wild or have them donated to you. We dont have any pythons or such in Tasmania so we are restricted to our native species (skinks, 3 elapids and a dragon species)

Oh cool, sorry I didn't read it right.

I'm not sure who you are talking about as I haven't seen people saying they wild catch animals.

In WA a lot of the animals are wild catch on a strict permit and the majority of WA herp owners would have a WC animal in their collection.

There are also a few WC Tassie tigers around that were taken with a permit.

Lot's of wild caught animals in WA. I have a few pairs of specific local area animals.

You can even transfer wild caughts interstate?
Of course.. Where have you been the last 10 years???? You think wheat belt stimi's came from Tasmania? Wheeleri came from crossing captive bred stock? All animals are from the wild originally anyway. It's an important part of setting up the hobby.

Obviously all native animals are from the wild originally, that doesn't require mentioning. All I have done on the licensing subject is read my N.S.W license paperwork. I learned that licensed animals can be transferred interstate after obtaining a separate, transfer license and that wild caught animals cannot be kept here. Unless you're some zoo keeper VIP. I didn't have my license when I lived in W.A. I didn't keep reptiles then.

Some wild caught animals I have.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 114
  • ttg4.jpg
    ttg4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_4226_0583.jpg
    DSC_4226_0583.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 96
They're nice. But I'm just a lowly basic licensee holder from N.S.W. Were I in W.A I still wouldn't be able to do that would I? That's what I'm curious about. If I ever decided I wanted to breed and have my own line or whatever the term is I suppose I'd need wild caught.

Lots of people keep wild caught in NSW.

How!? That's what I want to know :) Unless they bought them like Andy mentioned. I mean taken from the scrub personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back