Wild eastern/northern bluey pics wanted

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm after wild bluey pics (or captive locality animals) of eastern or northern blue tongues. After at least 1 good dorsal pic, an approx length and locality. If you can help out post pics up here.

John

100_0625.jpg

Capricorn coast - large adult.

Juvenile and adult Barossa Valley, SA locality animals.

No idea on lengths but the adult was rather large.

Attachments

• PA110028.JPG
    PA110028.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 93
  • P2100149.JPG
    P2100149.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 78
Any pics of blue tongue habitat?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

This is from the adelaide plains about 40km North of Adelaide
298.jpg

cheers guys. If you do come across any blueys could you get a full dorsal pic of the animal so all bands can be clearly seen and pic of the side so i can also see the marking on the flanks and face.

John

---------- Post added 13-Jan-11 at 01:15 AM ----------

Any pics of blue tongue habitat?

would really like to keep this on topic mate

umm, i'll have to dig my wild bluey pics out, habitat wise, tin, logs and a tip pile next to my house yeilded a pair, with a (i think) gravid female

Heres the pic of the side, same Location, found under a sheet of tin.
301.jpg

picture was taken yesterday, Eastern bluetonge lizard wild (Gold Coast, Helensvale) not the best picture i took but gives you an idea
Can i ask why you want pictures of blueys?
bluetongue060.jpg

Shane

would really like to keep this on topic mate
I wouldn't say it was really off topic, you wanted pics of wild skinks and I want pics of wild skinks in the wild.
I'll make a new thread anyway though.

picture was taken yesterday, Eastern bluetonge lizard wild (Gold Coast, Helensvale) not the best picture i took but gives you an idea
Can i ask why you want pictures of blueys?
bluetongue060.jpg

Shane

want to get an idea on locality variants and how they differ from 1 and other.

even with in the one type location they are highly variable,its hard to put a type locality on them just by looks

---------- Post added 13-Jan-11 at 12:24 PM ----------

ill try and find some mornington peninsula pics i have of wild ones,there like licorice all sorts here,highly variable

i aggree with richard, i have wildlife cases of dog attacks and the likes in the ipswich area and they come in all colours and pattern. they vary to much to link one specific to one area.

there are traits however....Melbourne specimens always have a dark temporal stripe where as most specimens west of the great dividing range don't.

Cheers,
Scott

yep thats is the kind of thing i am looking for, i know they are highly variable in any one locality but i want to see if there is anything that may be a little more stable, such as the dark temporal stripe, number of bands, thickness of bands etc. Now i'm a stay at home dad its something i want to look into to keep me occupied lol

sounds like a good idea,should be interesting,down here some have very dull eye banding,most it is clearly visable and the odd one appears to be lacking eye banding

oh id long to be a stay at home dad,i know i know,still alot of work but ........

---------- Post added 14-Jan-11 at 04:53 AM ----------

eipper,i live on the mornington peninsula,theres quite a few that lack eye banding down here and even more that have faint banding,but most do have the dark eye banding

ill have to search my pics

another interesting thing is there are quite a few kimberley bluetongues that appear like typical nt type northerns,i have some pics of wild specimens from broome that dont look like a kimberley at all

Richard,

I herped Melbourne for over 20 years when I lived there.....I have found countless bluetongues (on call outs as tiger snakes) and while finding every species bar one (pinguicola) within a 100km radius on melbourne......every bluetongue I found including well over 100 on the mornington Peninsula had a temporal stripe.....be it in some specimens it so faint that it is barely noticable but they all had it......over the range near Macedon and B marsh they mostly had it but there was the odd exception

Cheers,
Scott

scott i was just saying not all melbourne specimens have dark temporal streaks,alot it is rather faint,generally it is there as you said though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back