Wildlife carers feeling the strain!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish i knew this earlier! i found a beautiful eastern bluey that had been clipped on the road last week. it looked physically fine but had a little blood coming from the mouth. i called wildlife victoria and she told me to take it to the vets where im sure they would have just euthenased it!

Wildlife Vic didn't send someone out? Wow. I always get calls from them for bluey rescues, I was sure that they always sent someone out. Unless maybe they know that the vet near you is good with wildlife.. unfortunately not all wildlife phone operators are helpful :|

The need for Wildlife Carers is intense. Even if you become a Carer and only take one or two animals, or as Jay is doing and do weekend/ available time volunteering... It all adds up!

Same as the need for Wildlife Rescuers, we are flat out at this time of year! Our local group is a branch of Wildlife Vic - www.wildliferescuers.org.au
Anyone in northern suburbs of Melbourne can pm if interested in joining, we're always looking for help :)

Wildlife Vic didn't send someone out? Wow. I always get calls from them for bluey rescues, I was sure that they always sent someone out. Unless maybe they know that the vet near you is good with wildlife.. unfortunately not all wildlife phone operators are helpful :|

No the phone operator didnt send anyone out, she seemed very disinterested about the whole thing. She just looked up vets in my area and told me to take it to one of them. I told her that i had nothing to put it in to transport it for the drive........ she still didnt offer any other options. So i had to stuff the poor thing into my glovebox to get it to the vets and then clean out all the blood once it was in the care of the vets!!!!!

I just hope they bothered assessing it properly and didnt just euthenise it :(

At this rate possums will be extinct in the melbourne area soon! Everyone needs to help these carers they do such a good job save our possums!

Ok, I will rephase my statement.... Any type of helpers for the care of our native wildlife is needed. Be it materials, food, hides/boxes, or the all important time!! Lol.

Wildlife Vic is currently having a recruitment drive as they deperatley need more voulenteers.
It's truely a rewarding way to help our native wildlife.

i too am a wildlife carer in rural sa, it takes alot of time money and dedication. all my supplies feeds medications materials etc come out of my own pocket. but i am more than happy to be helping out our native wildlife. please feel free to keep me in mind those of u in sa if in need of a carer :)

Last edited:
There should be more funding eg (government funding) .....Most animal welfare organisations depend on donations. its pretty sad when they can afford to wipe out there habitat but when it comes to looking after our own native animals they dont seem to budge. other then that i still go out of my own way and pocket , i still feel rewarded at the end of the day

Yea carers are busy at the moment...being summer and all...plus being christmas school holidays so many are out on the roads. Though I am not a carer, I work at a vet that takes injured wildlife and if it is a special case we will send it onto a carer otherwise the animal is cared for at the vet. Its awful seeing how many cases are brought in and I know vets are desperately in need of carers or supplies during this season.
You have to be 18 to become a WIRES volunteer apparently but if you can convince a family member or friend because you are not old enough it would be great! But don't sign up for something like that if you know you won't have the time to constantly care for and feed the animals.

what if you dog i an outside dog and the bark if there restrained?

Will
well Willia6 you will have to train your dog not to bark ...a barking dog isnt going to kill wildlife but it may pee your neighbours off :lol::lol::lol:

after reading this thread , I think DOG owners have the responsibillity to chain up or keep inside their pooches, at night ,to prevent this type of thing happening ...native animals wont stop just because its your backyard ...dogs and cats need to be restrained at night ....:rolleyes:

On the contrary, like you said it is my backyard, which also makes it my dogs backyard, and i wont chain him up in his already small territory, i do however bring them both inside at night. Im not saying "screw the wildlife", we ourselves care for injured wildlife, a half way house before the carers if you will. A dog will follow its natural instinct, we have TRAINED our dogs to ignore birds, snakes, and lizards (desesitized them with our own pets), chaining the animal up is not the answer. Cats.....well i agree with you there, as they are not restricted to the yard, and the wildlife has little chance to escape

On the contrary, like you said it is my backyard, which also makes it my dogs backyard, and i wont chain him up in his already small territory, i do however bring them both inside at night. Im not saying "screw the wildlife", we ourselves care for injured wildlife, a half way house before the carers if you will. A dog will follow its natural instinct, we have TRAINED our dogs to ignore birds, snakes, and lizards (desesitized them with our own pets), chaining the animal up is not the answer. Cats.....well i agree with you there, as they are not restricted to the yard, and the wildlife has little chance to escape
like I said chained up or bring inside ..you said you bring yours inside ,so why the controversy? and WILDLIFE will enter your back yard regardless of it bein g small or containing a dog ...that was why I commented on that...obviously the possums that were killed in this post entered a backyard with dogs in it and paid a fatal consequence:cry:..as responsible pet owners I made that comment about the dogs as this is a reality too not all wildlife are killed by roaming cats ,CONTAINED IN THE BACKYARD DOGS KILL WILDLIFE TO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back