Wildlife Rescue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
The call outs are starting to wind up with the warmer weather. I missed a call for another red belly today because I wasn't home but did get back in time for this little guy. Someone picked him up early this morning. They thought it was an abandoned baby but expert possum carer says no its full grown, let him go. He wasn't injured, didn't look sick and boy did he vanish into thin air when we released him. He went round the back of the tree and when I went round to look he was gone. I am pretty sure it is a youngster not fully mature common brush tailed possum.

Attachments

• P1050163(1).jpg
    P1050163(1).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P1050165(1).jpg
    P1050165(1).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 74
  • possum release.JPG
    possum release.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 84
One of the dads from my daughters school (he knows I have snakes) was telling me he had a rbbs in the junk in his yard. Initially I got the impression from him that he killed it, I started calling him a sook, thats the easy way out, he should have called someone etc etc but he reckons he only 'knocked it out' and threw it over the back fence. I said how do you know you didn't kill it, he reckons he didn't. Anyway I pointed out that if he'd called someone they would have removed the snake without injuring it and relocated it away from the house! I think he wishes he hadn't told me....

You're right, it's brushtail that's far from mature.

I don't know a lot about possums yet, so I hope he is old enough to fend for himself. I did release him where the ppl said they found him, so hopefully he will re-unite with his family.

I don't know a lot about possums yet, so I hope he is old enough to fend for himself. I did release him where the ppl said they found him, so hopefully he will re-unite with his family.
He's whats known as a "back baby", probably left mum for a quick explore and got separated. If mums still OK his chances are good.

I Thought he was a ring tailed possum Kath,did you release where i said,good 1

it's a brushy. I hope it is the right place, because the chances of released possums surviving are about 5%.

it's a brushy. I hope it is the right place, because the chances of released possums surviving are about 5%.

It' 0% if its a male in VIC...All male rescues have to be destroyed even if they are 100% OK.
Where as here in S.A, they can be kept and used for educational programs.

I Thought he was a ring tailed possum Kath,did you release where i said,good 1

Yeah I thought that too but looking up pics on the net, ringtails have white tails. This little bloke's tail was going black. I released him exactly where you said you found him so hopefully has re-united with his mother.

That is a low survival rate for the possums. That is sad.

It' 0% if its a male in VIC...All male rescues have to be destroyed even if they are 100% OK.
Where as here in S.A, they can be kept and used for educational programs.
whys that? I dont know a thing about possum rescue ..but why would you have to cull if its a male for?

Thats for releasing possums in a different area, or having the animal out of that area for a time,(over a month) and then releasing them back.This little guy will be fine. Hell find his mum. Even if shes not found straight away it is old enough to eat leaves etc.Probably needs 2 milk feeds a day.

Looks the as one of my old little girls I used to care for

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back