Wishlist?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
The pricelist makes you cry! But when you think about the problems they have with exotics getting released into the wild, it starts to make sense! Cheap exotics with slack regulations. However the range of animals you can get at your fingertips over in the States is nothing short of amazing!

There's no doubt they need better licensing and control with these animals, and I'm not talking up any prospects of getting them importing here, but I can't help but to have a little jab at a wishlist. Might even get me some of those big-ass spiders :D

http://www.reptile-express.com/priceList.html

ps. I want a Civet!

The problem is not only the ridiculous prices, but also that they're STILL importing wild-caught animals from catchers in other countries. How bloody ridiculous and greedy.

Simon Archibald

Speaking of Big-ass spiders, check out the fangs on this little beauty.

Chow1.jpg

chow2.jpg

chow3.jpg

chow4.jpg

chow5.jpg

Incidentally, her name is Jennifer, and the mouse is fullygrown.

Hix

Nah, belongs to a guy in the States. Apparently it's a pain to clean the glass on the tank 'coz she comes out and attacks his hand. Lol.

And they can move relativley quick, from what I believe.

Hix

aussie bird eating spiders is abt as big as we can get i think...........told spiders are pretty cheap to buy and feed........

partner would never let me get one :(

not sure if i want a spider because i actually want one, or cos i know it would scare the crap outta her!!! lol.............opps sorry honey the spider escaped :twisted:

lOl, hix, you are member of Arachnoboards too?

The spider in the pic with the mouse, is a T.blondi, otherwise known as a Goliath Bird Eater. It is the biggest spider in the world, reaching 30cm legspan, so absolutely huge :shock: !! My spider in the pic I linked (Australian Tarantula, or "bird eating spider" as most of you know them as) to is only 16cm legspan, very large, but only half on T.blondi's size. Also they (T.blondi) are quite an aggressive spider, along with those huge fangs, they let loose these awful hairs that can cause terrible irritation when they get on you. Most owners need to wear gloves when changes the substrate in their tanks.

Ouchy. :shock:

What an awesome spider and what an awesome pic series too ! pity the mouse. I wonder how long it takes a spider like that to eat a mouse? dont they liquidate it? :shock:

I gave my pregnant girls a fuzzy each last night, and it took them all night to liquidate it (I give them vertibraes to eat once a fortnight for preparation of egg laying). Two of them left half the fuzzie, so they obviously were full after it. I find on average, it takes them an hour to liquidize a cricket, and usually 4-8 hours for a pinky/fuzzy. I doubt it would have taken the T.blondi long to liquidate that mouse, due to it's huge size.

once the T.blondi bites its pray, or even the aussie version, how long does it take before their pray dies? is it a quick or slow death?

IME, it's about 30 mins, but often the spider will 'crush' it with their fangs, so death is instant. But from a bite only, it takes 30 minutes. one of the reasons I only like to feed thawed.

would the same time frame apply to something bigger being bitten, like a human or cow or soemthing..............

See the price of BHPs, $7500US a pair :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back